Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently decided to try a different MP size as I usually play 7* I got a T55 and when I play the palm D (without the octave key) The note is Flat about 40 cents.
I tried this MP on both my horns and that note is flat on both horns with this MP.
The other notes seem fine so... Can a MP cause this? and if I got another one of this same model would it be the same or is it something in this particular MP?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,492 Posts
What is the original mouthpiece?

Also, usually Vandoren mouthpieces are on the long side, which might be the cause of this. Anyhow, I wouldn't ever expect a palm D without the octave key to blow in tune. It's usually quite flat.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is the original mouthpiece?

Also, usually Vandoren mouthpieces are on the long side, which might be the cause of this. Anyhow, I wouldn't ever expect a palm D without the octave key to blow in tune. It's usually quite flat.
Thanks for the reply.
I did notice that the T55 seems pretty long.
Well my other Mouthpieces play palm D in tune to where I am used to using that palm key a lot mostly using Otto Link NY, V16 T7, Jody Jazz DV etc but this T55 Vandoren is way to flat for some reason?

·
3,492 Posts
If I remember correctly, all of those mouthpieces are shorter than the Vandoren, which is likely longer to compensate for its smaller chamber.

I recall threads in the past talking about the shape of an ideal mouthpiece for a given horn as being somehow dictated by what the shape of the cone (saxophone) would have been had it been allowed to continue to its tip without being truncated.

The different intonation is probably due to the length of the mouthpiece.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I remember correctly, all of those mouthpieces are shorter than the Vandoren, which is likely longer to compensate for its smaller chamber.

I recall threads in the past talking about the shape of an ideal mouthpiece for a given horn as being somehow dictated by what the shape of the cone (saxophone) would have been had it been allowed to continue to its tip without being truncated.

The different intonation is probably due to the length of the mouthpiece.
Thanks I did consider the length and dug out my other mouthpieces and found a no name HR the same length as the T55 and it only blew about 15 cents flat?
So I don't claim to understand all the chamber sizing etc so If I were to shop for another similar MP like this T55 (Something darker tone wise) but find a shorter model would it be more likely to be in tune on that note.
Any suggestions on other Models to consider? Otto link slant, Meyers

·
3,492 Posts
Thanks I did consider the length and dug out my other mouthpieces and found a no name HR the same length as the T55 and it only blew about 15 cents flat?
So I don't claim to understand all the chamber sizing etc so If I were to shop for another similar MP like this T55 (Something darker tone wise) but find a shorter model would it be more likely to be in tune on that note.
Any suggestions on other Models to consider? Otto link slant, Meyers
Some horns are quite sensitive to chamber size and will reject a smaller chambered piece such as a T55 even if the shank is quite long. I have a 10m that does this. Great horn, but not with small chambered long-shank pieces.

For a darker piece in a medium opening with a not tiny chamber, I'd suggest a V16 in a 5 or 6, a hard rubber link in a 5 or 6. There are lots of pieces copying the classic link design and many of them are available in a smaller opening.

·
Registered
233 Posts
It’s an interesting point re D2 fingering. Does anyone else use the D palm key for D2 regularly? I can’t say I’ve ever used it, but maybe I’m missing something...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Some horns are quite sensitive to chamber size and will reject a smaller chambered piece such as a T55 even if the shank is quite long. I have a 10m that does this. Great horn, but not with small chambered long-shank pieces.

For a darker piece in a medium opening with a not tiny chamber, I'd suggest a V16 in a 5 or 6, a hard rubber link in a 5 or 6. There are lots of pieces copying the classic link design and many of them are available in a smaller opening.
Thanks for the suggestions and helpful information.
I have always played a 7* and I am kind of a blow hard and shut down the reed (2 1/2) when I get carried away. I was considering trying an 8 or *8 in a HR Link or some other shorter piece. I really don't like how long the T55 is as its crushing my cork because I have to get it on so far making my other pieces fit loose.
So by going down in size does this give it a darker tone or?
Is there any site that lists length of pieces so I can compare brands and models?
The Vandoren site just shows Facing Lengths and lists the T55 as L and T75 as ML?

·
3,492 Posts
The Jody Jazz site I think has a good resource for tip opening size comparisons. I don't know about any sites listing mouthpiece lengths, but some Vandoren and Selmer pieces are especially long. V16 mouthpieces aren't as long as some of the other Vandoren. Facing length is the length from the tip of the mouthpiece to the point at which the reed and the facing curve first touch.

It is generally thought that going to a smaller tipped version of the same piece will result in a brighter sound because it moves the reed closer to the baffle. However, in practice, this would depend also on quality control and manufacturing consistency, so it's not always a great rule.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
It’s an interesting point re D2 fingering. Does anyone else use the D palm key for D2 regularly? I can’t say I’ve ever used it, but maybe I’m missing something...
Nope. Trills and page turns, that's about it. Maybe if you're going for a certain timbre on occasion. Apparently I should be using it when auditioning mouthpieces rather than just playing normally.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts