Sax on the Web Forum banner
41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
This is the best answer IMO. I just finished rebuilding the broken octave mechanism on a early Conn last week that happened because there was no end plug to protect it. The real issue was that the sax wouldn't fit into the case with an end plug inserted. I ended up modifying the case interior as well to fix the real cause of the problem. The broken mechanism it seems was just the symptom. ;)
I once had a YAS62 (tenor; came with end plug) but the sax/saver wouldn't fit inside the yamaha case so I shaved part of the saver off for a snug fit. Eventually sold the whole set to a friend.

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
and $3 makes selling endplugs very lucrative?
just because your double socket neck might not need an endplug,doesn't need for you to go on and on about it?
endplugs are cheap,sometimes free if you use a champagne cork,and make common sense even if you don't need it to protect an octave lever)like many saxophones),but help it sit in its case for an excellent fit.(even your double-socket necked saxophone came with one originally!)
Yes! Even without a proud octave lever, the end plug helps prevent in-case movement. On many contoured cases this end of the case is the most fragile, most likely to bump into something while carrying it. The plug helps separate the sax body end from that wall. That same force that caused the proud octave lever to bend on many examples you see on the web would cause a bend to the sax body tune if the octave lever wasn't proud. Try hitting a brass pipe against a wall at 45 degrees :)

I rather have a plug on the sax then on the double-socket neck, which is wrapped and stored safely in a compartment or inside the bell. Never left home with a sax in its case without an end plug, never will.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,480 Posts
Never left home with a sax in its case without an end plug, never will.
Me neither. It's importance is obvious. And it's so easy to simply put that plug in the end of the horn (takes less than a second and is not difficult!) before putting it back in the case, I don't see why anyone would look for an excuse not to use the end plug.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts