Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an old 10m about 10 years ago and it had what looked like a rubber stopper for an end plug. I'm wondering why a plug for the sax is even important. If you put your horn in the case what purpose does it serve?

·
Registered
271 Posts
It protects the octave key linkage that may extend past the end of the body. Maybe not all saxes are like that. Cases seem to be fitted for a sax with an end plug, so I guess it’s obligatory.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
7,904 Posts
I always thought it was to protect the receiver from being knocked out of round.
If it’s to protect the octave stem, it’s not doing much of job on many horns.

·
3,230 Posts
i think it's there for both and it will do it well if the instrument is handled properly. However, it will protect neither very well if proper care is not taken.

·
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,399 Posts
It protects the octave rod and neck receiver. The case is designed for it so if its not there, the sax will be free to bump around. If you've ever received a shipped sax without the end plug you'll know why you want to always use it.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Yamaha very cleverly designed the octave mechanism and neck ring so that nothing protrudes from the body. They also have "end plugs" but they are a different design. For those of us who like HW Padsavers, the "end plug" is part of the cleaning device. Most importantly the end plug is there to provide repair techs with something else to add to their collection after the sax leaves their shop along with clothes guards and other things they forget to put back in the case. :twisted:

·
Registered
151 Posts
I learned this lesson at about 14 years old when my YAS21 stopped working correctly. I described my problem and before opening the case, the local tech at the local music store asked me why I wasn't using the stopper. "Uhh, well, I was in a hurry." He gave me a lesson on why it was important to use ... so did my mom on the way home! I'd kind of like to find a fancy one instead of the stock plastic.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,927 Posts
I learned this lesson at about 14 years old when my YAS21 stopped working correctly. I described my problem and before opening the case, the local tech at the local music store asked me why I wasn't using the stopper. "Uhh, well, I was in a hurry." He gave me a lesson on why it was important to use ... so did my mom on the way home! I'd kind of like to find a fancy one instead of the stock plastic.
Fancy? These are from SaxGadgets.com, but I don't see their website anymore.

FWIW, even though I have the very cool silver plated endplugs for my Borgani horns, I use PadSaver swabs that have a protective end plug built into the assembly.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,086 Posts
Fancy? These are from SaxGadgets.com, but I don't see their website anymore.

FWIW, even though I have the very cool silver plated endplugs for my Borgani horns, I use PadSaver swabs that have a protective end plug built into the assembly.
Yes - The King plugs are nice like that. Plus they make a loud noise when you drop them, giving you at least a chance of finding it in a dark club. Those black plastic ones are near impossible to find - especially for those of us who no longer see so well...If I ever go back to a non-King sax, I'll paint the plastic plug neon Yellow

The last time I ever used one of those pad saver things, I mistakenly put an alto saver in my tenor. Of course it slipped into the body of the sax - and stuck there...Once I finally got it out, I swore I'd never do that again.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Yamaha very cleverly designed the octave mechanism and neck ring so that nothing protrudes from the body. They also have "end plugs" but they are a different design. For those of us who like HW Padsavers, the "end plug" is part of the cleaning device. Most importantly the end plug is there to provide repair techs with something else to add to their collection after the sax leaves their shop along with clothes guards and other things they forget to put back in the case. :twisted:
That was true at one point, as my YAS-52 and daughter's YAS-23 are that way, but all of the intermediate to pro Yamaha horns from the last several years (I'm editing out my assumption of time, I have no idea for how long since it varied over when models were released) have octave key mechanisms that extend beyond the neck receiver.

Example, YAS-480. I can attest my YAS-875ex is the same.
View attachment 221520

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,927 Posts
The last time I ever used one of those pad saver things, I mistakenly put an alto saver in my tenor. Of course it slipped into the body of the sax - and stuck there...Once I finally got it out, I swore I'd never do that again.
Funny how things like that happen only once. I remember the ONE mouthpiece that I've dropped - never did that again either.

I have, however, left the PadSaver neck swab inside the neck a few times. :shock: The good news is that I always figure it out!

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'd forgotten that I had posted this question. Thanks for all the replies. I guess it wasn't obvious to me because my saxes are almost always sitting on a stand. If I pack them in the case I'm remember to put the plug in place. I do use a pad saver when I'm not playing them. It helps dry the inside and keeps dust out.

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
I'd forgotten that I had posted this question. Thanks for all the replies. I guess it wasn't obvious to me because my saxes are almost always sitting on a stand. If I pack them in the case I'm remember to put the plug in place. I do use a pad saver when I'm not playing them. It helps keep the moisture inside and keeps the non-existent dust in my case out.
Fixed it for you.

·
Registered
122 Posts
For years now I have taken to allowing the horn to air dry after playing, on a stand with the padsaver removed. It is absolutely essential when you live in a high-humidity locale. No longer having sticky pads and G# keys is the result, not to mention what happens to silverplate in a moist case.
Obviously there are times when this isn't possible, but as long as the horn gets a few hours of dry stand time as soon after it's played, you will have far fewer issues.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Another note about end plugs, that wasn't really discussed.

It fills the void / fills the "space in your case" to assure that the saxophone has a snug fit from top to bow, while at the same time protecting the octave key.

A good end plug, whether fancy or basic will work wonders!!

Scary to see a horn in a case without one :shock:

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
That was true at one point, as my YAS-52 and daughter's YAS-23 are that way, but all of the intermediate to pro Yamaha horns from the last several years (I'm editing out my assumption of time, I have no idea for how long since it varied over when models were released) have octave key mechanisms that extend beyond the neck receiver.

Example, YAS-480. I can attest my YAS-875ex is the same.
View attachment 221520
Yes ... All the new Yamaha saxes we stock have octave mechanisms that stick out like the EX II.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,086 Posts
Funny how things like that happen only once. I remember the ONE mouthpiece that I've dropped - never did that again either.

I have, however, left the PadSaver neck swab inside the neck a few times. :shock: The good news is that I always figure it out!
You are correct

10th grade band class. I flip the neck of my sax with mouthpiece attached and crack the tip clean off. I tried to play it off but the band director saw it happen....That was the first time I got kicked out of band. (But not the last).

I’ve haven’t broken aMPC since...

1 - 20 of 44 Posts