Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm always surprised by how few people have no awareness of ANDY GOODRICH. When I mention his name to people who are very aware of jazz history - even saxophone players - there is almost always a response of "WHO?". His "Motherless Child" CD on the Delmark label (DE-495) is very tasty and has a stellar cast of Eddie Henderson, Harold Mabern (alternating w/ James Williams), Buster Williams & Billy Hart.

Here are two live clips from YouTube where he is playing his AZZ OFF. I would not want to be assigned the task of transcribing these frenetic solos.

What do other SOTW members think?

AACM co-founder JODIE CHRISTIAN + ANDY GOODRICH, ART HOYLE in Chicago 1995

saxophonist ANDY GOODRICH & pianist JODIE CHRISTIAN - Live in Chicago 1995

· Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
2,302 Posts
The same argument can be said for the great Chicagoan Von Freeman who worked practically in obscurity till he dropped dead. Von never wanted to come to New York or be in the limelight even though Rahsaan Roland Kirk helped with a record deal and son Chico in the 90's helped promote his dad a bit with duo festival appearances and recordings.
To Von it was a personal choice and not that he was overlooked by the finicky Jazz insiders. such is life.

· Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,147 Posts
It's been truer and truer with the contraction of the audience and, most of all, the business. Jazz has spread worldwide, but in the USA it is more and more a regional taste… :(

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
True dat !!! Speaking of the late, great VON FREEMAN, here's a tribute I put together. The audio track is the 1983 New Year's Eve set at Chicago's Jazz Showcase - back when NPR did a simulcast from the four time zones in the continental USA (which resulted in FOUR separate "Happy New Year" countdowns).

VON FREEMAN - 1983 New Year's Eve @ CHICAGO's Jazz Showcase

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The same argument can be said for the great Chicagoan Von Freeman who worked practically in obscurity till he dropped dead. Von never wanted to come to New York or be in the limelight even though Rahsaan Roland Kirk helped with a record deal and son Chico in the 90's helped promote his dad a bit with duo festival appearances and recordings.
To Von it was a personal choice and not that he was overlooked by the finicky Jazz insiders. such is life.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
True dat !!! Speaking of the late, great VON FREEMAN, here's a tribute I put together. The audio track is the 1983 New Year's Eve set at Chicago's Jazz Showcase - back when NPR did a simulcast from the four time zones in the continental USA (which resulted in FOUR separate "Happy New Year" countdowns).

VON FREEMAN - 1983 New Year's Eve @ CHICAGO's Jazz Showcase

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.