Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 445 Posts

·
Administrator Emeritus
17,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just couldn't resist to post this clip here on SOTW. Each time I hear this it makes me happy and sad at the same time. Happy because it's such a great way to play a song like that and sad because you don't hear much (if any?) players who can really play in this style these days. The ancient Texas Tenor style of playing tenor. Or does it still exist in this high quality?

Enjoy!!!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Re: Who don't tenors sound like this anymore?

Great clip! I love Arnett's tone!

My two cents: Volume. It's awfully hard to play with a "subtle" subtone like the beginning of the cut when one can't hear over all the amplification.

·
Administrator Emeritus
17,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, volume is certainly a factor in Arnett's playing. But also without amplification he sounded very very loud (have seen him about 16 times live).

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist and Saxophonistic Art
6,260 Posts

Yes, volume is certainly a factor in Arnett's playing. But also without amplification he sounded very very loud (have seen him about 16 times live).
We're on the same page...I think it's the way things are in general these days. You used to have a drummer like Mickey Roker or Candy Finch. In another way Alan Dawson or Butch Ballard, how many tenor players could relax a groove at these tempos and say something of this IMPORTANCE? Cobb could knock a wall down, but also give you the chills in a warmth like a Hennessy that was warmed. Also the outline of the changes, and knowing the melody's. I love this kind of playing, and also think it's the clubs and festivals that lack as well too. How can you deal with the lack of control when everyone wants to party and jump around?

I believe general listening skills have eroded and evolution of PEOPLE WHO LISTEN has resulted in a populace that looks mainly for visual gratification. You name it! It's ALL up for grabs.
There is a majority of which,has not developed their ears, SO VOLUME, is replacing skill, soul and romance. What can we do about that?

mepeebee- THANK YOU..I had not heard this one as of yet- you made my day :)

·
Forum Contributor 2015, SOTW Better late than neve
4,272 Posts

Can't say I know Cobb well. But, I like what you're turning me onto with him. Please recommend your favorite albums to check out. I just downloaded "Deep Purple". Yeah baby :mrgreen:

Thanks,
TJ

·
Vendor
15,453 Posts

Man, I use to have this on record!!!!

Wow, its been 20+++ years since I've heard it.

Thank you for this....its wonderful. Maybe even better after all this time. Its like revisiting with an old friend!

·
Administrator Emeritus
17,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Could it be a small tip opening with a harder reed?
I don't have a direct source, but I was under the impression that Cobb played an open mouthpiece.
Arnett played in the 40's a metal Otto Link Tone Master and later (from the 50's onwards) a metal Florida Link. I found here that he used a tip 9 and reeds number 3, but ofcourse I don't know how reliable that information is. From my own experience blowing big tip Links I guess it could be right.

·
Administrator Emeritus
17,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can't say I know Cobb well. But, I like what you're turning me onto with him. Please recommend your favorite albums to check out. I just downloaded "Deep Purple". Yeah baby :mrgreen:

Thanks,
TJ
Glad you asked TJ :)!

Two of my favorite albums are:
- 'Party Time': http://www.amazon.com/Party-Time-Arnett-Cobb/dp/B000000YCB
(it has the above tune and also a great version of 'Cocktails for Two')
- 'Blow Arnett, Blow': http://www.amazon.com/Blow-Arnett-Cobb/dp/B000000YZN/ref=pd_sim_m_5
(a killing tenor battle with Eddie Lockjaw Davis, highly recommended)

Other great albums are:
- 'Arnett Cobb - Blows For 1300': http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/music/pid/1186962/a/Blows+For+1300.htm
(with great early work)
- 'Live at Sandy's': http://www.amazon.co.uk/Live-at-Sandys-Arnett-Cobb/dp/B000008R3D
(great live CD from when he was older)

And he did some great recordings with Milt Buckner too.

'Deep Purple' is a tune he often played. I have posted below clip of it before here on SOTW, but here it's again (it turned me on playing tenor):

And a great version of 'Nearness Of You', also posted before:

Sorry for repeating that stuff each time!!!

·
Administrator Emeritus
17,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Man, I use to have this on record!!!!

Wow, its been 20+++ years since I've heard it.

Thank you for this....its wonderful. Maybe even better after all this time. Its like revisiting with an old friend!
Glad you like it Mark :). I've received some great mouthpieces from you before, but please let me know when you have one that sounds like Cobb. And don't tell me it's all about the player, I still want to keep my dream alive sounding like Cobb one day :twisted: :bluewink:!

·
Administrator Emeritus
17,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
SOTW Columnist/ Forum Contributor 2014, Disti
2,828 Posts

If we could only turn back the hands of time and get people to want this style again in the supper clubs. Spent many hours in the 60's and 70's listening to Mr. Cobb and Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis. A very special way of playing.

Thanks for posting the clips. There is a wealth of this on You Tube.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,507 Posts

No one is going to be able to make a robot that can play like this.

·
Vendor
15,453 Posts

I use to love Gator! His med/med-up stuff is great too! He can swing hard and play great R&B and funk. I had a recording of him doing the song SURRENDER---It was fantastic!!!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,555 Posts

Ok my turn. Rrrrrusty Bryant. Nobody sounds like this anymore!

1 - 20 of 445 Posts