1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The story goes like this:

Back in the 80s a young trumpet player was making ends meet by
driving a cab in NYC.

One night, to his wondrous surprise, he picked up Miles Davis.

Amazed at the good fortune to have a chance to gain some wisdom
from the Master, the young man asked Miles what he might do to
become a better player.

Miles responded, in his inimitable raspy voice:

"Ask yourself, man, why do you play"

So, I put this out to all of you:

Why do you play?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I play for the sound.... It's so soporific & joyful

Cheers & Ciao
Jimu

1935 Conn naked lady alto & Blessings soprano

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I've always been drawn to sounds of any kind. It never mattered what produced those sounds.
Composition was something that was inherent.
The fact that I can hear at all is incredible! I never take it for granted.

I just try to play with sound because my ears allow me to. It's much like an invisible clay we instinctively like
to mold and see what we can do with it.
Sound is the most incredible toy!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,147 Posts
At this point in my life I just play in order to better understand the music that I listen to.

A few years ago I played because I loved it and wanted to make it my life, but I got burnt out or something and have not yet mustered back the drive to work hard at it.

·
6,862 Posts
I'm a bit like old Macbeth...it seems like stopping at this point would be harder than just plowing ahead...despite the horrors :)

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,203 Posts
I guess I play because after 40 years of 'doing it', it's become part of who I am.
It's something that I can do that's just for me. And maybe because I'm still a pretty good little clarinetist.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,107 Posts
It's who I am, too. It's how I honor the music I love. It's also rewarding to others (or are they just being nice?)

Finally, I am very much in agreement with that crazy German who said "without music, life would be a mistake."

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,160 Posts
NOT playing would be impossible.

·
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,416 Posts
It's Saturday night at 8:50 - just like thousands of nights for the last 45 years. There is no 'green room' in this joint, so you make your way to the darkened stage - pick up your tenor and snap it on. It's cold, but that won't last long. You blow moist air through it and hope this reed makes it through the first set. In case it doesn't, there's a Reedguard taped to the monitor speaker with three more in it. Since it's already pushing 95 db in there with the CD going and the crowd buzz, you turn around and toot a few notes - kind of like a race driver feeling the brake pedal before going into the first turn at 190 just to make sure it's there. Now everybody's in place and ready. You exchange a wry grin with them as a strong 'go team' vibe permeates the air. Take a quick drink. For a moment, you wonder what they will think of a white-haired (what's left of it) senior citizen up there on the bandstand, but then you remind yourself that you really couldn't care less - now it's down to you and the horn. But it is nice to watch the reactions when they hear you play. Now things are accelerating like an impending volcano as the DJ gives a great introduction and the lights come up - you feel the old familiar heat from them as the drumsticks click off the opener, and it's on! The tenor ride comes around and you go for the first G3 of the night which pops out strong, and you smile to yourself - it's gonna be a good one.
I don't even think about 'why' after all these years, and I never think about the fact that I'm already in the 'end game'. I can still play, I'm content with my sound and equipment and I'm enjoying it more than ever. I plan to continue as long as I can. I tell people sometimes that I'm glad for three things; I can still play, people still ask me to play, and most of all, I still want to play. As long as all three of those conditions hold, I will play. By 'play', I mean in public or for recording. Nothing else really matters.

·
Banned
2,397 Posts
Nice one 1 saxman. You are also a pretty good writer.

It's a pretty selfish thing for me. I've always been in and out of the arts since very young. Even when doing visual arts there were moments where you felt plugged in to something bigger than one's own ego. That feeling gives the greatest gratification but only lasts as long as one tries not to OWN it.

As time goes by I'm able to get into the zone where it just flows through (without conscious thought) for longer periods. I guess it's just like being a rat in one of those experiments where I do the right trick or push the right button for a reward.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
Because the opposite would be so much less of a life.

·
2,309 Posts
"It's my job, it's what I do, it's what I'm on earth to do and it's who I am."

per Peter O'Toole

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,878 Posts
Because I love it!!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
11,501 Posts
Because sometimes I surprise myself that I can play.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts