Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seriously, he has literally THE most beautiful saxophone sound I've ever heard. It's dark but still so very brilliant and playful! Why do people not bring him up anymore? Also, would anyone happen to know his setup?

·
Premium Member
26,254 Posts
I've always thought that Sinta has a great sound, but you don't hear much about him, either.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,153 Posts
Sinta is talked about by his students. Does Harle have students?

Harle also has been controversial, notably for improvising on cadenzas and such.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,668 Posts
John Harle has to be one of the most incredible musicians around, someone who has both the knowledge and the abilities to play in a incredible way.
http://www.johnharle.com/index2.html

His most incredible CD, to me, is not a classical one " the Shadow of the Duke" dedicated to the Music of Duke Ellington.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Harle has been commercially successful, and is also a top composer, so does what he likes in cadenzas etc. He's probably sold more CD's than the rest of the classical world put together, so why should he mind if he's talked about by saxophonists or not?
I know a student of his from LA so will try to find out about set-up.
I agree - I think his sound is easily the most refined and beautiful of anybody around. The classical saxophone world is conservative and inward-looking don't forget, so when someone comes along and actually is successful with the PUBLIC
and they like what the guy does, it upsets a lot of people who don't have his flair.
Will try to find out about other students.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What blew me away is that his sound is what I've always heard in my head; perfectly round yet brilliant. I dislike edge in a classical sound and unfortunately, that seems to be the trend these days. : /

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,410 Posts
FWIW JH plays Buffett S1's Alto's and Soprano. I think he played a JK black tenor on the "Concerto for Stan Getz".
M/P's are very close lay Selmer 'Soloist'
Harle 'legitamised' the saxophone in UK as far as examinations and college entry. Wonderful player with his 'own voice'--a rarity in the 'classical' genre.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
3,261 Posts
You used to see John on the telly a fair bit a few years ago. He doesn't show up much these days though I did see him on a show recently - I think it was the one about film music with Mark Kermode.
His playing with some of the pop guys got him some attention. It's a long time since Terror and Magnificance!

·
7,153 Posts
Another thing - maybe Harle isn't talked about as much outside the UK.

·
Premium Member
26,254 Posts
Another thing - maybe Harle isn't talked about as much outside the UK.
This is probably the case. Of course, I take issue with the 'commercially successful'. I'd like to see some data comparing him to JEK, Rousseau, and Branford.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Seriously, he has literally THE most beautiful saxophone sound I've ever heard. It's dark but still so very brilliant and playful! Why do people not bring him up anymore? Also, would anyone happen to know his setup?
Check his website. I have several of his recordings. I really like his sound but some find it not traditional. He uses a Selmer S80, probably a C* with a very hard reed and he plays at a very acute angle, like Sanborn. His sound model he claims is Johnny Hodges. I think he sounds more like Desmond.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
FWIW JH plays Buffett S1's Alto's and Soprano. I think he played a JK black tenor on the "Concerto for Stan Getz".
M/P's are very close lay Selmer 'Soloist'
Harle 'legitamised' the saxophone in UK as far as examinations and college entry. Wonderful player with his 'own voice'--a rarity in the 'classical' genre.
He definitely has his own voice gets a very credible jazz sound on his newer recordings. His approach to the standard works is different and refreshing. Check out his "Saxophone Concertos" CD. Nice orchestra accompaniment.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Harle has been commercially successful, and is also a top composer, so does what he likes in cadenzas etc. He's probably sold more CD's than the rest of the classical world put together, so why should he mind if he's talked about by saxophonists or not?
I know a student of his from LA so will try to find out about set-up.
I agree - I think his sound is easily the most refined and beautiful of anybody around. The classical saxophone world is conservative and inward-looking don't forget, so when someone comes along and actually is successful with the PUBLIC
and they like what the guy does, it upsets a lot of people who don't have his flair.
Will try to find out about other students.
I would say that's a way-way generalized statement about the "classical saxophone world".

Personally, Harle isn't my cup of tea, but I have a lot of respect for him both as a performer and composer.

·
7,153 Posts
Many if not most classical music communities have conservative and insular aspects. Usually they're understood as dedication to the art and the standards of musicianship.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
To be honest, I think Harle is good but I don't care for the way he articulates notes. He doesn't have the X-factor for me, unlike Sinta, DeLangle, Londeix, etc. although he might for you.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts