Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been noticing a trend lately and I'm wondering if its just me that has experience this. Why do people hate yani's so much? I've had a number of players ask about my equipment and every time I tell them I play this kind of sax ( Yani T902 with a Pink gold neck) I get this look like I just beat a baby seal or something. I also get "well those horns are cool, but you should really invest in a MK VI or some other brand name horn, because it'll hold up better." Did Yani commit some cardinal sin that I don't know about???

·
Registered
840 Posts
I don't play Yani's but I have plenty of friends out there that do. They are always raving about them, and when I hear them play, I can certainly see why! No need to invest in a VI if you get the sound and response you are looking for out of your current set up. Have always had a lot respect for VI's as I owned and played them for many years, but don't feel they are the end all do all of saxophones, especially with everything that is out there to choose from nowadays. I'd personally love to own a Yani someday, and hopefully I get the opportunity to do so

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,375 Posts
I had a Yani 901 tenor and a Martin Stencil Yani 880 as a backup tenor. Both were great horns, easy ergos, in tune etc. The only knock was that they didn't have the Mk6 sound. I ended up getting a 6 but really I could have saved 3K and just played the yanis. Big big tone. K

·
Registered
88 Posts
Over the last 40 or so years I've owned plenty of vintage horns, Conns, Selmer MkVI, balanced action, King Super 20, and I've liked them. Having said that I now own one TWO1, an AWO1, an A991, and SC991. I'm getting the
sound I want with these, plus the wonderful ergonomics, and ease of playing that I really like. I no longer think about equipment or worry about it which gives me a sense of freedom. I just concentrate on my music, practicing, etc.

I've had the A991 the longest, so long I can't even recall when I bought it and I've never had to have any work done on it. I've had it checked several times but never any work needed. Great horns by any measure. I'm having fun.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
I've been noticing a trend lately and I'm wondering if its just me that has experience this. Why do people hate yani's so much?
Sorry to put it this way, but the players commenting to you are ignorant. Also, their opinions are not necessarily representative of "people." Read the Yanagisawa subforum here if you'd like an alternative point of view.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Why do some people hate Yanis? Probably just because it's not a Selmer…

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,853 Posts
Strangely enough, I have heard more people say, "why get a 6 when you can do it with a Yani?" Have you heard any reasons for such hatred from anyone? I think anyone that "hates" anything without giving a reason is just talking and can't really be taken seriously.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I had a Yani 901 tenor and a Martin Stencil Yani 880 as a backup tenor. Both were great horns, easy ergos, in tune etc. The only knock was that they didn't have the Mk6 sound. I ended up getting a 6 but really I could have saved 3K and just played the yanis. Big big tone. K
I played modern Yani's that have had a very Mk6 core sound. Was strongly considering buying it since it was used and less than $3k, but I already have a VI neck that gets the sound I want.

Actually I haven't heard hate for Yani's--seems like they're well respected, even if the sound profile isn't for everyone.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I don't see how anyone else can be in a position to tell you what kind of horn you ought to be playing. If you like it, you feel comfortable with it, and you don't have any reason to think it's holding you back somehow, then what other people might prefer is beside the point. They're not playing it, you are.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
7,903 Posts
They probably hate Yani’s because they invested a sh*t load of cash in a MKVI only to find out that they all sound crap if you can’t play.
Yanis have the added advantage of playing well in tune.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I have never tried a Yanagisawa tenor, but I love my Yanagisawa soprano... Saxophone brands are extremly subjective, so who cares what "they" think.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
4,680 Posts
I've been noticing a trend lately and I'm wondering if its just me that has experience this. Why do people hate yani's so much? I've had a number of players ask about my equipment and every time I tell them I play this kind of sax ( Yani T902 with a Pink gold neck) I get this look like I just beat a baby seal or something. I also get "well those horns are cool, but you should really invest in a MK VI or some other brand name horn, because it'll hold up better." Did Yani commit some cardinal sin that I don't know about???
Yani T902 is a GREAT tenor, man . I've been playing one for 13 years - ignore the naysayers .

·
Registered
107 Posts
I don'y own a Yani, but tried a friends tenor and it was great. Felt really nice to play and solidly made. Smooth action. Another friend recently traded in his alto yani for a 1930s Selmer, which is admittedly lovely...but he sounded great on the yani too.

As others have said, it's probably people who have spent £6k on a MkVI and are realising they don't really sound much better than they did on what they had before...?

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,887 Posts
I don’t think I’ve ever heard a bad word about a post 800-series Yani. Some people are all Mark VI all the time, which is an ignorant place to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
3,095 Posts
I’m a bit surprised by your post. In this part of the world, Yanagisawa is generally appreciated and respected. Sopranos and baritones are the ones I see most, though. I play a Yani curved soprano, as back in the 90s it was the only serious modern horn of that kind. Never looked back.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I haven't heard anyone express hated when talking about Yani saxes.
People have their favourite saxes, but that doesn't mean that they hate the others.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
Never seen this comment with Yanagisawa. I don't know anyone who doesn't think they are great instruments. You probably need to hang out with people who play better. Great players rarely look down on others' tools.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Hate ? Really ? Pfff...
I tried the AW 01 and AW 10 once. They were very nice instruments -I had a slight preference for the AW 01 but would have been very happy with both. I won't buy one, however, because I'm already very well equiped...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,112 Posts
Is there any proof that Yanagisawa players do not beat baby seals? Like virtually any other aspect of saxophone logic, there is no proof, is there? Japan is a whaling nation, so there might in fact be a connection. I do own two MKVIs and prefer both over the single T991 that I have tried. If memory serves me well, the latter sounded too bright for my tastes and now that you mention it probably not unlike a beaten baby seal when playing altissimo. Perhaps your fellow players are just trying to be helpful. You can probably recover 50-60% of what you spent on your setup, add 10K and get a decent 5-digit MKVI.

1 - 20 of 147 Posts