Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you know marching season can be very.. mean to your instrument. This year at the end of marching season mine was stepped on, twice. First time they stepped on my mouthpiece and broke it (obviously..) and so I had to go buy a new one. Then later it got stepped on in the middle of all the keys. I tried to play, and sound just wasn't really comimg out, so I took it to get it fixed. I was still having a hard time getting a nice sound out of it, so I took it back again for more repairs. I STILL sound terrible! I thought maybe it was my reeds, so I bought new ones, my sound improved a little but not much. I'm having trouble hitting/sustaining anything lower than a G(This one.. :line2: ) as well as playing an A :space2: . My sound doesn't sound as clean or full as it has in the past and some of my notes are played up the octave. I've played this particular saxophone for 7 years and have NEVER had this problem. What could be causing this? I have auditions for the UT Longhorn Band in a month and would really like to fix this.

Info in case anyone is curious:
Selmer C* Mouthpiece
Rico Reeds 2 1/2
Yamaha Tenor YTS-28 (as far as age I don't know, I bought it used)

·
Banned
1,611 Posts
Hello,
I would find another repair tech and have him look at the horn. I think you still have some leaks and or damage that was left unrepaired by whomever did the work.

·
Registered
506 Posts
after you get this horn fixed, is there any chance you can get a cheap horn to use for marching band? (one that won't matter so much if it's stepped on) the marching horn still needs to be playable - you don't want to develop bad habits while fighting with it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,444 Posts
Yup, there's definitely still a bunch of leaks.

Still, got stepped on? Must've been a freshman. :faceinpalm:

·
Registered
239 Posts
try the same mouthpiece and reed combo on another similar sax before doing anything drastic or spending big moolah. Try a different mouthpiece on your sax. Then keep this sax for marching band, and invest in a concert level sax - gotta keep them good ones safe. is that a YTS-28 or YTS-23 or YTS-82 ?!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
and about the 8va key not closing well? sounds a little like that, but the technician should have everything taked care. Have you already played other horn? same results?

Ya the mustache doesn't help either... Joe Jazz has done the diagnostic well =)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I took my saxophone to a different place to get it fixed, and they actually fixed it! :D So now it works again.

I wasn't too thrilled about it getting stepped on, believe me. And everyone seems to have "marching horns" & "concert horns" but I've only been able to afford one, so it's been both. But if all goes well and I end up making the band, I'm totally getting another one.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts