Banned
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder Why do I have a thin tone.

My setup is:
Yamaha 4C mouthpiece ,#3 rico reed
Rovner ligature
Selmer Bundy II Alto

Is it my technique, mouthpiece or my reed?
Should I get a more open mouthpiece?

What can I do to get a fat, loud jazzy tone?
I already have the sounds in my head.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,215 Posts
Open your throat and use more breath support.
If this doesn't help you may need to find a teacher who can see and hear what is going on.
This is an issue that REALLY needs the one-on-one student/teacher attention.

·
Banned
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Open your throat and use more breath support.
If this doesn't help you may need to find a teacher who can see and hear what is going on.
This is an issue that REALLY needs the one-on-one student/teacher attention.
I try doing that, I use alot of air support though, but when I record and use vibrato, it sounds terrible!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I never will use vibrato until my tone fattens out.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,215 Posts
Maybe it's your recording equipment that sounds terrible....

You need a teacher. :)

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
A real sax playing teacher will help for sure.
However, in the interim, try playing against the wall (corner is better) to hear your actual sound and play long tones and experiment with your embrochure - for example you may need to bite in further to the mouthpiece to fill up the sound in addition to maintaining an open throat, etc. One cant play enough long tones and slow octave jumps, etc. to develop a good tone. Must do this each time you play. And yes forget the vibrato until you have your basic tone under control. Have fun.

·
Registered
545 Posts
A real sax playing teacher will help for sure.
However, in the interim, try playing against the wall (corner is better) to hear your actual sound and play long tones and experiment with your embrochure - for example you may need to bite in further to the mouthpiece to fill up the sound in addition to maintaining an open throat, etc. One cant play enough long tones and slow octave jumps, etc. to develop a good tone. Must do this each time you play. And yes forget the vibrato until you have your basic tone under control. Have fun.
I like this comment because that's how I practice. Facing the wall. It gives me a better idea of how I sound in the different registers. My embouchure is pretty set but by practicing into the wall, I've definitely was able to really experiment with my embouchure to find ways of manipulating my sound. It's a lot of fun. :)

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Look at this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0jJSuwqDSA Then do everything that Dexter does and nothing that he doesn't.

In the absence of a sax teacher (and I recommend you go to one, if only for tone production issues), this is the best lesson on sax embouchure available.

Use good breath support, keep your embouchure relaxed (but firm), take enough mouthpiece into your mouth, you are good to go.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,993 Posts
No equipment will help you. No practice routine will either. You have to open up your ears and be aware of what you're doing, and emulate the sound you're after. Recognizing poor tone is the first step. Most never get past it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,949 Posts
Recognizing poor tone is the first step. Most never get past it.
+1

Eleven more steps to go, or is it three?

Unconscious incompetence

Conscious incompetence

Conscious competence

Unconscious competence

·
Banned
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No equipment will help you. No practice routine will either. You have to open up your ears and be aware of what you're doing, and emulate the sound you're after. Recognizing poor tone is the first step. Most never get past it.
Yes- I have been thinking of imitating many artists, but, I am just looking for a normal, average, jazzy sound like this person playing the sax:

here's a link to a video of an example of the sound I'm after:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hi4VHdpLZ_E&feature=related

-But with Jaw vibrato- I want to sound like Matthew Hill, a CE winds artist.

I can try playing their songs.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,715 Posts
+1

Unconscious incompetence

Conscious incompetence

Conscious competence

Unconscious competence
That says it all really...The first step to improvement is to recognise one's inadequacies.

·
2,870 Posts
I've been doing that lately- Practicing against a wall.
That's exacly the opposite as against a wall because you can hear yourself without effort. I try to get a better tone and I practice tones from low Bb to c# with the octave and D to F# without. The reverse what you're normally doing. Also try to practice overtones a lot and put a towel in the bell of your sax and work hard to sound normal(low c# to Bb will not work with the towel but that doesn't matter that much)

·
Registered
385 Posts
here's a link to a video of an example of the sound I'm after:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hi4VHdpLZ_E&feature=related
You need to be careful comparing recordings of your sound to recordings such as these on YouTube. I'm guessing your recordings are quite dry and vanilla, no added effects. Theirs are not.

I'm not saying these guys can't play or that their tone is bad. What I'm saying is you can get a very misleading impression from comparing these recordings.

As others have said, the best thing you can do is to get someone who knows what they're talking about to listen to you and give you some pointers.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
1 Blow down and through the bow/bell
2 Keep your tongue down and out of the way
3 Blow like you're trying to fog a mirror
4 Loosen your lips as if you're trying to play as flat as possible

You will probably have poor stability of tone for a while doing these things, but that will come. Just stick to these ideas.

·
2,077 Posts
I wonder Why do I have a thin tone.

My setup is:
Yamaha 4C mouthpiece ,#3 rico reed
Rovner ligature
Selmer Bundy II Alto

Is it my technique, mouthpiece or my reed?
Should I get a more open mouthpiece?

What can I do to get a fat, loud jazzy tone?
I already have the sounds in my head.
Clearly there must be something you can buy in a store that will make you smoke ....[rolleyes]

1 - 20 of 25 Posts