Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
"King In The Castle" & Distinguished SOTW Member
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to find answers to this question, but could not see any explanation about the naming of the MKVI--although I have found lots of history about the horn and how legendary it has been, is, and will be.

Was it named after some popes? Likewise, Lincoln has named some of its car models Mark something, too.

·
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Btw, I hope y'all VI owners don't mind that a King 20 player posts an ad in this section;-)

Cheers!

·
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Correction: A thread, not an ad, I meant (a Freudian slip since I have been trying to sell some tenors here ;-) )

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,865 Posts
because of the decade of the century they were heading to when they started making them ? (as it happened with the super action 80?)

·
Registered
110 Posts
What i was told was that the final design for the mark vi was the sixth prototype they came up with, hence the mark vi. I have no direct proof of that, but it came from a student of Don Sinta's who is one of selmer's long-time endorsers, and it makes sense. peace- mike

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I like the popes idea. I'm looking forward to the Hilarius mk2 although I've always thought Leo X was pretty good.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Why did Selmer name it Mark VI

They named it the Mark VI because they had already been developing the prototype for the Mark VII - and they couldn't very well name it's predecessor a Mark V. :D

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist/Official SOTW Guru
3,764 Posts
The Gospel of Mark

Chapter 6

1 And he went out from thence, and came into his own country; and his disciples follow him.
2 And when the sabbath day was come, he began to import cheap foreign horns: and many hearing him were astonished, saying, From whence hath this man these things? and what wisdom is this which is given unto him, that even such mighty works are wrought by his hands?
3 Is not this Kostya Namanaleg, the son of Uva Healthybankbalnce, the brother of Betya Wi****wasafivedigit, and Reckonitsarelaq, and of Bruce? and are not his sisters here with us? And they were offended at him.
4 But Kostya said unto them, A prophet is not without honour, but in his own country, and among his own kin, and in his own house.
4a: And they didn’t have a clue what Kostya was talking about. Because they didn’t speak Khazakstani. So they said “Well duh!”
5 And he could there do no mighty work, save that he laid his hands upon a few cheap imported horns, added a few pieces of costume jewelry to the neck, and flogged them for a motza as the “Kostya Narmanaleg Larruping Can’t tell you where it’s manufactured but I make great mouthpices Saxophone.
6 And he marvelled because of their unbelief. And he went round about the forum, pontificating,.Philibustering, and giving out both wisdom and utter B.S
7 And he sold a few , and began to send them forth by two and two; and gave them power over unclean spirits; American horns, German horns, French Horns and particularly Berg Larsen mouthpieces.
8 And commanded them that they should have a “No trials. No returns” policy:
9 But be CNC machined and hand finished.
10 And he said unto them, “I don’t make any money doing this, you know. I might just give it all away.”
11 And whosoever shall not receive your horn, nor hear from me for an extended period, well, I’ve been busy trying to set up a new venture direct with the olnly Chinese manufacturer of decent pro level $200 saxophones. So just keep waiting and remember that I’m doing all this for you. Not me.
And he also said “Verily I say unto you, It shall be more tolerable for Sodom and Gomorrha in the day of judgment, than for anyone of you that lets it leak that these expensive horns only cost me $12.75 a unit to import from Asia
12 And they went out, and preached that men should repent.
13 And they cast out many Berg Larsens, refaced Links, Yanagisawas, Conns, Super 20’s and so on. and created a thriving collectors market
14 And king Voldemort heard of him; (for his name was spread abroad:) and he said, “That other mouthpiece guy that had his name branded on an overpriced Asian horn, has risen from the dead, and therefore mighty works do shew forth themselves in him.
15 Others said, “Bulls**t your majesty. He’s not the messiah. He’s a bloke from Brooklyn called Kostya.”
16 But when Voldemort heard thereof, he said, It is those bastards on that other forum!, from whence I was banished.
17 For Voldemort himself had sent forth and laid hold upon that other dude, and bound him in prison for Herodias' sake, his brother Philip's wife: for he had married her. It’s all a bit complicated, but all you really need to know, is that all saxophone and mouthpiece makers have a few few Roo’s loose in the top paddock.
18 For the other bloke had said unto Voldemort, It is not lawful for thee to have a monopoly on the “I make mouthpieces, so why not put my name on a saxophone,” scam.
19 Therefore Herodias had a quarrel against him, and would have killed him; but she could not:
20 For Voldemort feared the other bloke, knowing that if too many of them pulled the same scam, sax players would eventually get wise and the gig would be up.
21 And when a convenient day was come, that Voldemort on his birthday made a partial payment, to his creditors and those who had bought a horn on spec.
22 And when the daughter of the said Herodias came in, and danced, and pleased Voldemort and them that sat with him, the king said unto the damsel, “Ask of me whatsoever thou wilt, and I will give it thee.”
23 And he sware unto her, “Whatsoever thou shalt ask of me, I will give it thee, unto the half of my kingdom.”
24 And she went forth, and said unto her mother, “This fruit’s loopy. Anyone’d think we just got a divorce. What shall I ask?” And she said, The head of that other Mouthpiece maker-come horn manufacturer Bloke.
25 And she came in straightway with haste unto the king, and asked, saying, “I will that thou give me by and by, in a Hiscox flight case, the head of that other mouthpiece maker-come horn manufacturer bloke.”
26 And the king was exceeding sorry; yet for his oath's sake, and for their sakes which sat with him and threatened legal action, he would not reject her.
27 And immediately Voldemort sent an executioner, and commanded his head to be brought: and he went and beheaded him in the prison,
28 And brought his head in a Hiscox case and gave it to the damsel: and the damsel gave it to her mother.
29 You would have read about it, but Brittany got arrested for drunk driving and the Beheading was pushed back to page 9
30 Anyhoooo, whilst all this was going on, Kostya’s disciples came and told him all things, both what they had done, and what they had taught.
31 And he said unto them, Come ye yourselves apart into a desert place, so that the FBI won’t catch a sniff of what we’re up to..
32 And they departed into a desert place by ship privately.
33 And the people saw them departing, and many knew him, and ran afoot after them shouting “where are they actually manufactured and by whom?”
34 And Kostya, when he came out, saw much people, and was moved with compassion toward them, because they were as sheep not having a shepherd: and he began to teach them many things. Such as tone production exercises taked from Joe Allard and the like.
35 And when the day was now far spent, his disciples came unto him, and said, “The time is far passed: You said we’d all make millions outta this scam.”
36 “Send them away, that they may go into the country round about, and into the villages, and buy themselves a standard Link or Meyer: for they have nothing to play but Larsens and we spit on Larsens”.
37 He answered and said unto them, “Give ye them the world’s only decent mouthpiece and my own personally designed horn to play on.” And they say unto him, “and where the **** are we supposed to get those Kostya?” “Shall we go and buy two hundred pennyworth of Ref 54’s, a caseload of Morgan 7M’s and give them to play?”
38 He saith unto them, “How many cheap Asian Horns and CNC’d mouthpiece blanks have ye? go and see.” And when they knew, they say, “Five horns, 3 blanks, and two fishes.
39 And he commanded them to make all sit down by companies upon the green grass.
40 And they sat down in ranks, by hundreds, and by fifties.
41 And when he had taken the five horns and the 3 blanks and the two fishes, he started a thread on the forum, offering the at outrageous prices..
42 And they did all sell, and many orders were filled.
43 And there sprung up a market in 2nd hand Kostya horns and mouthpieces. and fishes.
44 And they that did play on these mouthpieces professionally, were about five men.
45 And straightway he constrained his disciples to get the $$$ into the offshore account, and to go to the Caymans, while he sent away the people.
46 And when he had sent them away, he departed into a mountain to pray and cruise on his Harley.
47 Well that’s what his publicist says anyway..His disciples, meanwhile, went game fishing in the Bahamas. All was going well until they got hit by a perfect storm.
48 And he saw them toiling in rowing; for the wind was contrary unto them: and about the fourth watch of the night he cometh unto them, walking upon the sea, and would have passed by them because they forgot to leave the light on for him.
49 But when they saw him walking upon the sea, they supposed it had been a spirit, and cried out:
50 For they all saw him, and were troubled. And immediately he talked with them, and saith unto them, Be of good cheer: it is I; be not afraid.
51 And he went up unto them into the ship; and the wind ceased: and they were sore amazed in themselves beyond measure, and wondered.
52 For they considered not the miracle of the horns and mouthpieces: for their heart was hardened. And they’d had a little too much alcohol.
53 And when they had passed over, they came into the land of America, and drew to the shore.
54 And when they were come out of the ship, straightway they knew him,
55 And he began to take on orders for horns and mouthpieces, but he couldn’t make a $ and hand finish the mouthpieces at the same time.
56 And so, he putt his name on a batch of cheaper CNC’d blanks and refused to answer any hard questions about them.
57 They sold pretty well, but the name, “Kostya Narmanaleg Larruping Can’t tell you where it’s manufactured but I make great mouthpieces Saxophone,” was a bloody great mouthful to pronounce. And so sax players started to refer to the horns and mouthpieces by referring to the only fully independent review of the products to appear on the forum. Mark’s 6th post in the (edited) thread.
And so, Yellowhornblower, that’s why they’re called Mark VI’s.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
58 And so the prophet Motive praised Dog Pants for his elucidation and went into the desert muttering to himself "does he have naught better to do?"

·
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dog Pants -

That was clever!

Milandro -

In the case of the Super Action 80, your theory makes sense, but what decade was called Mark VI, VII, or X for that matter?

Loving your new King more everyday, no? ;-) Same here!

·
Registered
153 Posts
I always thought it was because it was the 6th saxophone model that they produced.... Maybe I'm wrong!

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,865 Posts
Yellowhornblower said:
Dog Pants -

That was clever!

Milandro -

In the case of the Super Action 80, your theory makes sense, but what decade was called Mark VI, VII, or X for that matter?

Loving your new King more everyday, no? ;-) Same here!
Very clever indeed Dog Pants :shock:

I thought that I had read that theory somewhere. I jus finished a practice (playing really) session and wow, I am so impressed by this horn! OOOoooops we are talking of the Super 20 in the house of the enemy!:twisted: :D ;)

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I think you are on target, saxsaxsax. I think it was the 6th MAJOR design.

1. Modele 22, 26 (maybe) 28
2. Largebore
3. Selmer Super Sax (SSS)
4. Balanced Action
5. Super (Balanced) Action
6. Mark VI

·
Researcher, Teacher and Horn Revitalizer, Forum Co
3,505 Posts
saxsaxsax69 said:
I always thought it was because it was the 6th saxophone model that they produced.... Maybe I'm wrong!
[1] Model 22 / Model 26
[2] "Cigar Cutter"/"Super Sax"
[3] Radio Improved
[4] Balanced Action
[5] Super Balanced Action
[6] mk VI
[7] mk VII

i guess its when and how they kept count

(EDITED)Tharuff beat me too it .. sometimes it just takes too long to enter stuff - work gets in the way =-)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,147 Posts
Dogpants, how long did it take you to do that?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
830 Posts
Martinman said:
I'm sure he's had it typed up and ready ever since he joined the forum, and was just waiting for the proper place and time to use it. :D

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist/Official SOTW Guru
3,764 Posts
Martinman said:
10 minutes.

Cut and paste from the King James Bible. The rest was just malicious editing, with the help of one too many scotch's. The hard part was NOT saying the things I really wanted to say regarding the way some of these scam merchants and "Everything else is crap. You need one of mine" guys, operate.

·
Researcher, Teacher and Horn Revitalizer, Forum Co
3,505 Posts
i was always curious where the name Voldemort came from and what it means. Then over the other weekend i heard the name in Harry Poter or something - still not sure what/where it is from. I do know who it refers too.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
1,370 Posts
gary said:
They named it the Mark VI because they had already been developing the prototype for the Mark VII - and they couldn't very well name it's predecessor a Mark V. :D
Or a Mark IV even!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts