Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Usually a Zephyr Special is much cheaper then a early Super 20.....

any good reasons why ? ......

I played both / both are great horns....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
11,501 Posts
Cannonball Adderley didn't play or endorse the Zephyr.:mrgreen:

·
Banned
2,042 Posts
The Zephyr Specials are gussied up versions of a very old design; good horns in many regards but with some issues (primarily but not exclusively ergonomic). (tenors addressed here)

The Super 20's are a "new and improved" model that really was just that. Very, very similar verging on identical in tone but just "different and-again to me- better" in my hands as I played the horn.

I've had two Zeph Special tenors and eventually traded both off- they were , for me, good but not exceptional except in appearance.

I had a 1952 Super 20 tenor and would have it still but that it was stolen from the trunk of my car.

I find the altos to be an awful lot closer and would take a nice Zeph Special alto over a run of the mill Super 20. In point of fact I have on my stand at the moment a plain Jane Zeph (305XXX) alto which I kept in lieu of a 1968 /Super 20 which looked great but played just OK.

That Zeph vice S-20 alto comparison is "on the averages" of course- any particular horn has got to be played by the player to be sized up. There are surely some GREAT Bundy's out there...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,597 Posts
The Super 20 has that "cool" factor, the top-of-the-line at the time thing going on, the bad-*** rep (the Cannonball Adderley thing). If you are a collector or prestige-seeker, that is important, and drives up the price. Market prices do not directly correlate to how well a horn plays. (This is true for many products, not just saxes.)

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,847 Posts
well, aside from cool factors, the ergonomics are different (at least from Super 20 series II onwards) in the later Super 20 (my favourites are series IV to V .......yes, this last one is a Eastlake made ) the differences and finishing make the two horns absolutely incomparable in mechanical terms.

·
Banned
2,042 Posts
The mechanism on the modern S-20's IS far superior to the Zeph's.

For me though, while there was a real practical playing difference on the tenor's, the effect on the alto's was noticeable head to head but once one had played either horn for more than a few hours it faded into insignificance. Other's might well find it more glaring.

I tend to play a lot of alto's from the early part of the 20th century so I'm, perhaps, more flexible in terms of pinky ergonomics on the alto's. The size of a tenor accentuates pinky cluster clumsiness on the older tenors.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts