Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any info on this? I'm just curious. Apparently, you can get the shipping date, but not the actual date of production. It seems odd for such a popular and business savy company to withold/or not have this info.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Dont know

Don't know and it sucks. I had a few great Yamaha's in hand last night and spent half the night trying to figure out the age of each horn. It was impossible to get the info I was looking for. Selmer has info on there sight. Why does Yamaha only list what is in stock and no history?? I have no idea.

SAXBOY

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
215 Posts
I am not sure of how detailed the information you are seeking, but I emailed the serial of a YTS 62II and within a day or so had the year it was built.
Maybe not specific enough for you, but it seems sufficient for most of my requests. The email from yamaha was very cordual.

·
1,260 Posts
I emailed Yamaha USA and not only did I get the shipping date (month/day/year), but the date it left the factory (M/D/Y), the specific factory location, the date it arrived in the States (M/D/Y), and the date (M/D/Y) that the dealer I bought it from took possession of my horn. The only thing I did not learn was the names of the persons who actually put the thing together.

All I did was email the model number and serical number to Yamaha asking about the year it was made.

Have you tried that? If you haven't, get on the Yamaha USA site and send an email and see if you get anything back from them.

I am surprised there is not a site out there with the Serial number lists for Yamaha like there is for other manufactures. Although I am not sure that all those lists are actually posted by the companies themselves. Selmer did not put that information out in the beginning. Someone wrote a book with that information in it.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Yamaha's serial numbers aren't sequential, so any kind of list of years etc. wouldn't work. You could have two horns produced one after another and they might not have serial numbers even close to one another. That's info from a Yamaha rep. I would think it's correct, but who knows...

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
jazzsax07 said:
I am not sure of how detailed the information you are seeking, but I emailed the serial of a YTS 62II and within a day or so had the year it was built.
jmathesonjr said:
I emailed Yamaha USA and not only did I get the shipping date (month/day/year), but the date it left the factory (M/D/Y), the specific factory location, the date it arrived in the States (M/D/Y), and the date (M/D/Y) that the dealer I bought it from took possession of my horn.
Thanks you folks so very, VERY much for this info. I am presently negotiating the price of a Yamaha sax which is being represented to me as new and I have doubts about that. After reading your posts, I've emailed Yamaha and am hoping for as detailed an answer as you got. It would be good for both me and the seller as well.

·
3,287 Posts
Yamaha's serials are mostly sequential and they do have year of manufacture lists and them saying they just have the shipping date is just not believable.
The only thing I can come up with is that they must be afraid of serial number piracy or something like that.
It makes it hard to know what year a used Yamaha is from.

I have found a Yamaha serial list but it's for the Alto Model 7131RK Vitos which were made by Yamaha and I think the Vito Alto serial numbers apply to the Yamaha YAS-21 up to 1980 and then after that the Vito and Yamaha serials seem to be different after the YAS-23 was introduced around 1980.
The Vito (Yamaha) list shows that Yamaha has got all the lists and gave this list to Leblanc for the Vitos and it also shows the Yamaha serials are mostly sequential with the next instrument coming off the production line just getting a 1 added to the previous instruments serial number.

http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?t=41544&page=2

http://www.woodwind.org/clarinet/Equipment/HowOld/Leblanc.html

http://www.clarinetperfection.com/snclarinet.htm

·
Registered
42 Posts
I was an employee of the U.S. Yamaha plant. I was a sax assembler and tester. I never seen any serial numbers that matched any type of pattern, and as far as I could see, there is no way of actually knowing the exact production date. However, the very day the sax is finished it was packed into the shipping box and tagged with a printed sticker. On that sticker I believe is the date it was packed. When a specific quantity for a specific order was built, then they were shipped to the customer. That would be the recorded shipping date. But, I seen it take two days before, for the saxophones that were finished to be packed. So there were many irregularities with the serial number and exact assembly date. Yamaha, to the best of my knowledge, never used serial numbers to be a record of the day they were built. I wouldn't think that any other company could give you an exact build day just by the serial number. Yamaha would have all there parts built in Japan and Indonesia (and in the past three years it was exclusively Indonesia) and then pack and ship those parts to the U.S. Then the bells and bodies were buffed and lacquered in the U.S. factory. They were then assembled and adjusted and tested. So from the time the bell was being hammered out, and the body tube was formed (which then had the serial number stamped in) it could be months before it was shipped to the U.S. to be built. I'm not sure if I got off a bit with my reply, but I hope this info helps out.

·
3,287 Posts
The serial number is only stamped on one part and the sax could have been completely assembled later but probably not more than a year later so the (one part) stamped serial years would be a guide but maybe I'm wrong and Yamaha only keeps track of the retail release years tied to the serial numbers.
From other posts Yamaha has retail release dates tied to the stamped (one part) serial numbers but these would not be manufacture dates of any of the parts and Yamaha could release those.

Maybe the Vito 7131 Yamaha serial lists are Leblanc retail release years and not Yamaha year manufacture lists and maybe Leblanc didn't get serial lists off Yamaha but it doesn't matter because if you look at the lists they are mostly sequential so Yamaha were supplying the parts to Leblanc with sequential numbers and it looks like Yamaha do use a sequential serial system like Yanagisawa but knowing that doesn't give you the year.
And what are the Yanagisawa serial lists, retail years or manufacture years, they are very similar to the Vito Yamaha serial lists so why doesn't Yamaha do what Yanagisawa does and be done with it.

Yamaha have a serial number wizard for guitars, why not saxes.

http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA...57,CTID=221350&CNTYP=&VNM=LIVE&AFLG=Y,00.html

Compare the Yanagisawa serial lists with the Vito 7131RK (Yamaha) Alto serial lists and both are sequential.

http://www.musictrader.com/yanagisawa.html

http://www.woodwind.org/clarinet/Equipment/HowOld/Leblanc.html

http://www.clarinetperfection.com/snclarinet.htm

·
Distinguished SOTW member, musician, technician &
5,019 Posts
cjk712 thanks that's interesting. Were there any Yamaha models that shipped completely built to USA or all were asseumbled there (USA)? Did they use the same materials (i.e. pads, etc.)? Is it possible that Yamaha saxphones in USA are a little different from other places (here they arrive assembled completely from Japan)?

Thank you.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
saxophone, flutes and lil' bit of clarinet
7,271 Posts
Since they have more than one plant, perhaps each plant has their own system of numbering.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
My boy's YTS62II was made and assembled in Japan according to the paperwork.

·
Registered
63 Posts
jmathesonjr said:
All I did was email the model number and serical number to Yamaha asking about the year it was made.
I got the information on my Yamaha by calling up their customer service line with my serial number. They told me that their information only extends to the date the horn was shipped from the factory in Japan, and they said that horns don't usually sit in the factory for very long. I was pretty satisfied with what I got from them, and it took all of five minutes on the phone.

Gary, you shouldn't have any trouble finding out whether your seller's horn is new or not. If the email thing doesn't work, try giving them a call.

·
3,287 Posts
For what it's worth here are the YAS-21 Yamaha (Vito) serials from 1970-1980.
After 1980 the Vito serials don't seem to match.
From the Yamaha serial numbers and purchase dates I've seen the Vito serials do match the Yamahas for the YAS-21 up to 1980.
The YAS-21 seems to become the YAS-23 around 1980 and the YAS-23/25 seems to become the YAS-275 around 2000/2001.

1970 1 500
1971 501 2155
1972 2156 3529
1973 3530 4421
1974 4422 12000
1975 12001 25603
1976 25604 30827
1977 30828 33947
1978 33948 38844
1979 38845 42434
1980 42435 47975

http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?t=41544&page=2

·
Registered
336 Posts
saxpiece said:
The YAS-21 seems to become the YAS-23 around 1979/1980.
My YAS23 is 34k, which would make it a '78. Hey, one of the first 23's that Yamaha made, a collector's item, I'll make a point of that if I ever decide to sell it.

·
3,287 Posts
Well it seems to work for the YAS-21.

1. The YAS-23's have big 3-tuning-forks in circle emblem on top, with YAMAHA below and JAPAN below that. Serial numbers begin with a 0?

2. The YAS-23's have a smaller emblem in front of the YAMAHA on the same line, followed by JAPAN on the line below. Serial numbers starting with a 0 or 1?

3. The YAS-23's have big 3-tuning-forks in circle emblem on top, with YAMAHA below and Established in 1857 on the bottom. Serial numbers starting with a 1?

4. The YAS-23's appear to only say YAMAHA followed by JAPAN on the line below. I've seen serial numbers starting with a 1 or 2?.

5. The YAS-23's have no tuning-fork emblems, and have YAMAHA on top, Established in 1857 in the middle and JAPAN on bottom. Serial numbers starting with a 2 or 3?

So once again you see the sequential nature of the serials from older to newer 0XXXXX to 1XXXXX to 2XXXXX to 3XXXXX.

Yamaha have a different sequential serial numbering format for every different model and the model serial numbers don't always start from 0.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
830 Posts
My YAS-82Z came with a card saying the final date of assembly (it's the shotblast finish).

Model Number: YAS-82ZM (yes, the M stands for matte)
Limited Edition #: 40/50
Serial Number: 305XXX
Inspected and Playtested By: XXXXXXXXXX (I would rather not release the name)
Date of Manufacture: December 4, 2004

Hopefully this helps somewhat.

EDITED- Year of Manufacture was off by one year. Miscopied info from the card...

·
3,287 Posts
The lower the serial number, the earlier it is.
Starts at 000000 and adds 1 for each sax coming off the production line.

Every different model YAS-25 YAS-275 YTS-23 etc has it's own sequential serial numbers that start when the model starts.
That's why some people have said the Yamaha serial numbers are not sequential because different models serials are not in sync but for a particular model the serial numbers are sequential.
In general a lower serial number (ie starting with a 0) is a earlier instrument in that model line.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts