Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just saw a thread in the marketplace where someone wants to trade an Olds tenor for an SBA or early Mark VI tenor. That got me thinking about some of the ridiculous trade offers I've received for things I've had for sale on the forum in the past. Here's my question - do people really think we are that gullible or desperate? I understand adding a reasonable premium to what you would accept in a trade in lieu of cash, but most of the trades I see around here are analogous to saying "I'll give you 4 shiny quarters for that $20 bill." I'm guessing it's just cheesy personalities trying to get s little edge on folks and make some money off the community, but I would be interested to hear your thoughts/vents/etc.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,920 Posts
That goes with how many times we see somebody say “hey look what I just got did I make a good buy?”....what year is it??
There is always somebody out there to capitalize on one being impulsive and not doing their homework.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,811 Posts
there was a member some time ago who was always asking me if I was interested in trades. He is a professional seller and was invariably offering trades that were advantageous for him but not so for me.

I told him that the best medium to trade against is money because I can buy anything I want with that, also I told him that trading, in general, should achieve for both people the feeling that they are actually getting a better value than trading the object they have against money and that is hardly possible. That’s why trades are very few times taking place. I have done that a couple of times with mouthpieces or trading horns against the services of a repairer.

As for the trade that you are mentioning. OP there may really be under the impression that his horn's conditions warrant his very high expectations, yet if he would only pause to think how much that horn ( beautiful but hardly the most coveted horn in the world) could reasonably achieve on the market ( even if spic & span) while the horns which he proposes to trade for are worth at least twice if not trice as much.

Some time ago I started a thread called “ Is there a nice way to tell someone that they are delusional?”

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showt...-to-tell-someone-that-he-or-she-is-delusional

·
38,811 Posts
even in that case there are few collectors which will pay the equivalent of a Mark VI or a SBA for that kind of horn

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,888 Posts
When I see the word “trade” I tend to think of part exchange, ie some monetary adjustment would be made. As opposed to “swap”

It would be very rare to find two saxophones worth exactly the same amount.

Mod hat on: please keep this discussion general, debating the value of a current marketplace ad either in the thread or outside the thread would be contravening the rules.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Not unique at all to SOTW ... the same happens on e.g. fountain pen forums. Human nature, I guess.

·
38,811 Posts
well, even in the case of a “ partial trade” one has to realize that things don’t really work in favor of the trader.

Most shops here are against trades unless they are incredibly favorable to them. My good friends at Matthew’s always discourage trades and honestly tell you that you will probably be better off selling privately what you want to trade and then buy with cash.

Not so long ago I went to a shop where they had a sax for sale that I was interested in. I had my Gemeinhardt 3SB with me. The owner proposed (after some thinking) a trade whereby the flute was valued at 25% of its price in a private sale and possibly they were going to resell (maybe in a a very long time) at 8 times the price if an when the right buyer would come.

That is the exact catch.

If and when is something that a shop can factor in but most private people can’t.

Nevertheless 1 on 1 trades do exist. I once traded a King 615 for a Dolnet Bel Air in a shop, which I then sold at a higher price than I could have made by selling the King. Value is in the eye of the buyer as much as it is in the eye of the seller. But you need to match those two things and THAT is the problem.

·
3,920 Posts
When I see the word “trade” I tend to think of part exchange, ie some monetary adjustment would be made. As opposed to “swap”

It would be very rare to find two saxophones worth exactly the same amount.

Mod hat on: please keep this discussion general, debating the value of a current marketplace ad either in the thread or outside the thread would be contravening the rules.
Exactly, fair trade.

Like next to never.

No one yet:whistle:

·
38,811 Posts
the ideal trade is when both the traders leave with the feeling that they got a better deal than money exchange would have achieved.

That’s all it really matters. Mutual satisfaction

It happens, sometimes, but it is rare.

With money this is what we do all the time after all, one pays thinking that he has got good value and the one that accepts the money may have made a profit.

Today I paid 50% for an item that yesterday costed twice as much in a shop.

The shop has still made money (or at least didn’t lose on it) and I saved 50% of what I could have spent until yesterday (or tomorrow). Everyone is a winner.

I just saw a thread in the marketplace where someone wants to trade an Olds tenor for an SBA or early Mark VI tenor..
apparently your offer of a 5 digit Mark VI was taken seriously

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,888 Posts
And obviously with an online trade there is no statutory rights, credit card or Paypal protection, possibly even with part exchange

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Fair trades can happen on SOTW. I had a good experience trading with a member last year and I think we both felt content about it. I think it’s less likely to happen when trading with dealers rather than fellow enthusiasts though.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
My favorites are ads that say, "Trades of greater value considered," or "Trades advantageous to me considered." :scratch:

That said, I've done a couple good trades on SOTW over the years. Mostly on smaller items: mouthpieces, necks, ligs, etc.

·
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,409 Posts
I just saw a thread in the marketplace where someone wants to trade an Olds tenor for an SBA or early Mark VI tenor. That got me thinking about some of the ridiculous trade offers I've received for things I've had for sale on the forum in the past. Here's my question - do people really think we are that gullible or desperate? I understand adding a reasonable premium to what you would accept in a trade in lieu of cash, but most of the trades I see around here are analogous to saying "I'll give you 4 shiny quarters for that $20 bill." I'm guessing it's just cheesy personalities trying to get s little edge on folks and make some money off the community, but I would be interested to hear your thoughts/vents/etc.
In most cases its not malicious or predatory content - simply a case of someone thinking a crummy Olds is somehow equal to a Selmer Paris. Naturally anyone in a trade situation is trying to get a good deal - nothing wrong with that. The thing is, why complain about 'asking price', which is what we're talking about? It is standard to ask more than you'll really take for something - its the opening shot in a 'haggle', where both sides try to negotiate some kind of deal. A typical reply to the Selmer/Olds invitation might be 'Sure, along with $7000.' Then the haggle starts or not, depending upon the skill/experience of the traders. So, the trade doesn't happen, and the originator learns what his Olds is really worth.
Deals can get complicated and take time to work out. I recently wished to, in effect, trade a certain neck for another neck. First I tried to sell it outright but had no luck. Then, I spotted a deal on the one I wanted, which I bought. Then, I was able to sell the one I wanted to move out to somebody else. So, I did what I wanted to do but in a roundabout way. You just have to be patient sometimes.

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
My favorites are ads that say, "Trades of greater value considered," or "Trades advantageous to me considered." :scratch:

That said, I've done a couple good trades on SOTW over the years. Mostly on smaller items: mouthpieces, necks, ligs, etc.
A lot of times guys just want to sell gear and not trade, but people will ALWAYS ask, "hey man, I'll trade this for that". Even if the value is less.

Ultimately, If someone wants to trade me something that I need money for, then I'm going to have to sell something else which takes time. So I don't think it's rude to have a trade in the sellers favor. It makes him a couple extra bucks and he is more likely to trade.

I even offer something of slightly higher value when offering a trade to someone.

I think it all depends on context though. Is it a for sale ad or a for trade ad? For trade should be as equal as possible.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
1,994 Posts
I think the trade almost always works in favor of the seller. Not to the extent that started this thread, but to some extent. Ever get a trade offer from the folks at Guitar Center or your local camera shop, etc.? They push their trade programs and the offer is always very low, like half or less of what you could sell the item for if you were in a hurry! If I’m going to accept a trade offer, I need to have a high degree of certainty that the item or items received in trade will be easy to sell without taking a loss!

·
12,705 Posts
Trades of greater value are generally posted by vendors.

As long as its not too lopsided it makes sense. Some folks dont want to be bothered selling something and a vendor isnt likely to take something of equal value unless he is having trouble moving a specific item.

I dont do trades but I dont see the point in a 1:1 trade. In the end I still have to sell something to make money to live. If I trade, I have to box and ship twice instead of once. That being said, if I saw something I really wanted personally I would work a trade. At this point I dont need sax gear so it doesnt happen. If someone wanted to come paint my house for a trade Id consider it!

I think between members there are a lot of fair trades. It is difficult to say that with certainty because the details of the trade are generally not announced. Its a deal between two members.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,935 Posts
If you are a high volume flipper, you should expect to receive your fair share of low ball offers. You should know beforehand what your acceptable exchanges will be - if you are not open to trades, say so.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts