Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
About 2 months ago I watched a video in YouTube titled "Dexter Gordon Documentary - 'More Than You Know'". I made a comment saying that I would have rather heard Dex play than NHOP talking (I didn't know it was NHOP, I thought it was just some dutch guy :( ). And now 2 months later I get an email that says someody replied to my comment (I totally forgot about it).

Well, I went and read the reply and it's just a bunch of people being complete a-holes because I wanted to hear Dex. Is this normal? Why do these people feel that they need to be so rude instead of just correcting or disagreeing? :x

·
Forum Contributor 2008/Distinguished SOTW Member
3,295 Posts
Actually, in order to show you're a real hipster than nothing is really any good. Hate everything or find fault with it all. That way you are able to show how much better you are than them.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,207 Posts
Humans are the most dangerous animals on the planet. Approach with extreme caution.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Ignore it --- I have gotten plenty nasty messages/comments on you-tube -and to be honest I have said some stupid things too . there are no moderators so people will say what they want - if you don't like it ,ignore it .

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
7,212 Posts
It's easy to be a tough guy to invisible strangers.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,450 Posts
You ever notice how short the childish retorts are? Likely it's because they have difficulty breathing at typing at the same time.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
830 Posts
Every now and then you find some nice people commenting on youtube, but not often. At least now, with "Video Responses", someone that is claiming they can do a better job, actually has to be ABLE to do a better job to be believed. But then again, I'm sure half or more of the rude comments are people seeking attention, and they know of at least one surefire way: Post it on youtube! That being said, I'll go watch some nice videos of Dave Brubeck back in the day. (to me, at least)

·
Registered
647 Posts
Based on my observation (I could be wrong) most of the comments on Youtube are made by people who think more with their fingers than their brain.:(

Ben

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist TSGT(Ret)USAF
1,390 Posts
These people are sad losers, who find fault with everything.
They would post anonymous comments about their own mothers.
Ignore them and live life to the fullest!

·
Registered
337 Posts
I wouldn't even read anything on youtube, most of the people who feel the need to comment on there are 15 years old at the oldest. YouTube is really great, as long as you ignore the comment section.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
joelsp said:
I wouldn't even read anything on youtube, most of the people who feel the need to comment on there are 15 years old at the oldest. YouTube is really great, as long as you ignore the comment section.
I would just like to point out that I am 15 :D

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,029 Posts
joelsp said:
They have a comment section?:shock:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008
4,046 Posts
LazySaxman said:
About 2 months ago I watched a video in YouTube titled "Dexter Gordon Documentary - 'More Than You Know'". I made a comment saying that I would have rather heard Dex play than NHOP talking (I didn't know it was NHOP, I thought it was just some dutch guy :( ). And now 2 months later I get an email that says someody replied to my comment (I totally forgot about it).

Well, I went and read the reply and it's just a bunch of people being complete a-holes because I wanted to hear Dex. Is this normal? Why do these people feel that they need to be so rude instead of just correcting or disagreeing? :x
First off you kind of did it to yourself when you posted this.

Very good. I would have rather heard some more Dex than listen to that dutch guy at the end. The song at the end called "King Neptune" is titled "Kong Neptune" On the album I have. Odd.
When you refer to NHOP as """that""" "dutch guy" (actually he's Danish). It's not going to be treated very kindly. NHOP is or was before his too early death a titan of the bass. He's one of the strongest bass players of all time....he played the instrument like Dexter played his horn...hard, heavy and huge. And of course he was Dexter's bassist of choice in Europe.... there was no other choice for an expatriated jazz legend like Dexter and many other Americans that played in Europe.

My future suggestion is to hold back on making any comments. This would keep people from throwing flames at you. When you step into the small passionate world of jazz aficionado's it's best to have all your facts straight. Usually it's best just to read their posts and learn and when you've got the mountain of information they have under your fingers in a few decades than come along and help out the new guys just getting into this stuff. Jazz Corner used to be a site that I frequented and it had several guys that were extremely knowledgeable about jazz and they have the rudeness to prove it.

So in the future never be critical about something unless you know absolutely what you're talking about. I'm guilty of this myself, but the guys around here are a nice bunch. Out there in the cold mean world there's a lot of people that would just assume carve you up with a steak knife if you step on their toes.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Old King Log
801 Posts
To be totally honest, I had never even looked at a Youtube posting until just the other day, when my lovely wife found a number of Louis Prima clips thereon. In general terms, our Internet connection is too slow to bother with the download times.

Commenting on something in such a fashion as described above would be equally as pointless, at least in my mind. If you don't like something, well good for you and have a nice day. To run down others (even those who prefer the smooth jazz stylings of Kenny G) seems (to me at least) a waste of time.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts