Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always seem to gravitate towards Monk tunes for some reason.

I also like to think I can play Wayne Shorter and Benny Golson tunes, but they aren't much beyond wishful thinking at this point :( .

So, what are everyone's favourites??

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, & Forum Contributor 201
587 Posts
cleger said:
I always seem to gravitate towards Monk tunes for some reason.

So, what are everyone's favourites??
I'm with you on Monk. I don't think anyone writing jazz tunes was more innovative, particularly in the area of harmonics.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,207 Posts
I'd like to add:

Mingus, Gershwin, Kern, Jobim, Porter

·
Registered
784 Posts
Grover Washington, Jr and David Sanborn.

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
Miles Davis and Jerome Kern I like a lot.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
I take it the inquiry about Bechet was tongue-in-cheek . . . Sidney Bechet, not Dave Bechet. I put a "period in there. DAVE

·
8,322 Posts
Reedsplinter said:
I thought you were in the Wiedoeft camp.

Wiedoeft would be a great name for a hamster!:D
I think I understand that one but i'm not sure. Anyhow, I'll just blunder on as usual. Perhaps if i'd named my hamster "Wiedoeft" rather than "George" he wouldn't have been such a vicious little blighter?

·
Forum Contributor 2010, Distinguished SOTW Member
5,076 Posts
RootyTootoot said:
I think I understand that one but i'm not sure. Anyhow, I'll just blunder on as usual. Perhaps if i'd named my hamster "Wiedoeft" rather than "George" he wouldn't have been such a vicious little blighter?
He would have played a C-melody while wearing a cowboy suit and would have made a ton of money for awhile before his career crashed and he died in an alcoholic depression! Otherwise, he would have been a pleasure.

·
8,322 Posts
Reedsplinter said:
He would have played a C-melody while wearing a cowboy suit and would have made a ton of money for awhile before his career crashed and he died in an alcoholic depression! Otherwise, he would have been a pleasure.
Yes, I know who Rudy Wiedoeft is, but I thought there might be more to your remark! I'm now attributing a depth to your comments that they obviously don't possess, Dean Reedspinter!! That is a sure sign that I need to get some sleep. Goodnight all. :)

Wikipedia on RW: "Rudy and his wife Mary Wiedoeft had a difficult relationship partially due to difficulties in maintaining their rather flamboyant lifestyle and alcohol abuse. In 1937, he was nearly killed when he was stabbed by his wife." The parallels with myself and Mrs T are somewhat scary.

·
Forum Contributor 2010, Distinguished SOTW Member
5,076 Posts
RootyTootoot said:
Yes, I know who Rudy Wiedoeft is, but I thought there might be more to your remark! I'm now attributing a depth to your comments that they obviously don't possess, Dean Reedspinter!! That is a sure sign that I need to get some sleep. Goodnight all. :)

Wikipedia on RW: "Rudy and his wife Mary Wiedoeft had a difficult relationship partially due to difficulties in maintaining their rather flamboyant lifestyle and alcohol abuse. In 1937, he was nearly killed when he was stabbed by his wife." The parallels with myself and Mrs T are somewhat scary.
AND as everyone knows he kept his saxes under the bed! Especially the new ones.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I like tunes that are almost famililiar, but with something weird that makes them different. Jelly Roll Morton could write those, Ellington could, and Herbie Nichols. But for sheer fun, I like playing some of Horace Silver's tunes, like The Preacher or Doodlin'.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Monk and Jobim - I second the motion! Both great composers of tunes that are fun and challenging to play, yet very different from one another. Unlike the originator of the post, I find Wayne Shorter tunes easier to play than Monk tunes, though. Another post of interest would be "great but rarely played MOnk tunes". I think I'll start that right now.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts