Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about getting Logic to compose and record. Anyone here using it? Let me know your thoughts on the program and please share your work below.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I use Reason, but not sure if you're hip to these two good online forums for writing and production- vi-control.net and kvraudio.com where people post their work and talk about composition and desktop recording.

https://vi-control.net/portal/

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I've used Logic for longer than I can remember. The recent version is easier to get into but lacks a few features that I relied on when transcribing opera scores for MidiOpera and other projects. For the cost, there's a lot of bang for the buck with a huge collection of useable virtual instruments, loops and studio effects.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,905 Posts
Thinking about getting Logic to compose and record. Anyone here using it? Let me know your thoughts on the program and please share your work below.
Yes, for the last 25 years I've made a decent living as a compress form using Logic and its forerunners. PAs a pro software it's ideal as it has good Audio, MIDI and great scorewriting, which has saved me on a few sessions where things get awkward and you need quick rewrites. Since Logic X it's also been very good value for money.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I’ve recently purchased and startied to use Logic Pro X, moving from Audacity. It’s been fairly easy to get up and running, even mixing, applying effects and bouncing down 10 trace from my band to finished product. I actually find it easier to use than GarageBand as Logic doesn’t seem to try so hard to cater to budding young singer/songwriter. There are some excellent YouTube video tutorials; I’ve worked through them by playing the tutorial on an iPad and copying the keystrokes on my MacBook. The main problem I find with any recording software is that upon hearing myself playing I realize I need be spending my time on the horn and not the computer keyboard.

·
4,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I’ve recently purchased and startied to use Logic Pro X, moving from Audacity. It’s been fairly easy to get up and running, even mixing, applying effects and bouncing down 10 trace from my band to finished product. I actually find it easier to use than GarageBand as Logic doesn’t seem to try so hard to cater to budding young singer/songwriter. There are some excellent YouTube video tutorials; I’ve worked through them by playing the tutorial on an iPad and copying the keystrokes on my MacBook. The main problem I find with any recording software is that upon hearing myself playing I realize I need be spending my time on the horn and not the computer keyboard.
I hear that. It's a good way to check your progress though!

·
2,068 Posts
I've been a Logic user for 11 years and actually switched back to Mac specifically for it in 2008. (Very glad I did, I managed to dodge Windows Vista as a result... my last Windows experience was with XP, which I loved.) Logic is an ideal DAW for musicians and composers (its closest competition being Ableton, most likely). My full-time audio engineer friends prefer Pro Tools, but with Logic you get a ton of fantastic bundled virtual instruments and effects that can't be beaten, for the money.

Here's a bunch of music I've done for TV, commercials, and audio houses that I wrote, record, mixed, and mastered all in Logic. If you're not already a Mac user then it would probably make more sense to pick up Ableton or Pro Tools, but if you're already on the Mac train and you don't have a DAW you know, Logic is a no-brainer to me. The "Alchemy" synthesizer alone used to cost twice what the whole Logic bundle costs now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts