Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been playing primarily tenor in R&B bands for the last decade and a half and last year burnt out and quit playing. Over the last six months I've come back to soprano exclusively. I do have a tenor sub gig next month but I was somewhat fascinated that tenor was soooooo easy after devoting all my daily practice to the soprano when I pulled it out of the closet this week. I've always been able to pick up the soprano for a gig and play in tune but only after a half a year of real focus am I really starting to understand what it really takes in terms of air stream on the soprano especially in the palm keys and alt. Translating that to tenor means 1) altissimo is very easy, and 2) tenor seems so easy to play :)

Who else is devoting all their saxophone energy to just the soprano?

·
Registered
720 Posts
I work out all my stuff on soprano now. Scales, tunes , everything. Two hrs in the shed is about 1.5 hrs soprano then I'll go over everything I'd did once on the tenor. I've been doing it this way for about a year now and it really improved my control on soprano.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,970 Posts
Who else is devoting all their saxophone energy to just the soprano?
Not all, but most these days as I play soprano with a brass band that is crazy busy. Just had a few gigs over the last two months on alto and tenor after a long lay off... but I can't say all the soprano playing I'm doing has an impact on that. But I don't bring my soprano along anymore on my alto/tenor gigs, as it gets enough play with my brass band.

·
Registered
846 Posts
If you can call it playing, compared to what you guys and gals do, I only play with soprano, although I own an alto.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts