Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for those of you that may have played the David Diamond Sonata - In the first movement, how did you interpret the "poco agitato...a tempo" in measure 11/12? Did you play the a tempo as the original tempo of 126 or did you take it as referring to the slower tempo of 69 given at measure 5? Is it supposed to be flurries of activity before returning to normal or constant, slight increases in tempo? Also, about how fast did you play the second movement? Last question - did you repeat in the third movement? I'm trying to figure out why the repeat is there since it's just a straight repetition and it seems a little silly. Thanks!!

BTW, those of you that have not played it, after spending some time working on it I've come to like it. Give it a shot.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Paging Steve P.....

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Haha. Actually, I have not played this piece. I have run through it a few times, to see if I would really want to work on it, but never gave it a good chance. This makes me think I should pull it back out.

As most may know, this was the third piece in the Consortium that brought us the Albright Sonata, and Bolcom 'Lilith'. David Diamond passed away the summer of 2005.

Steve P

·
Registered
384 Posts
Steve P said:
As most may know, this was the third piece in the Consortium that brought us the Albright Sonata, and Bolcom 'Lilith'. David Diamond passed away the summer of 2005.

Steve P

And don't forget the one from 1984 that bests them all......Lennon's Symphonic Rhapsody.

·
Banned
2,248 Posts
I love the Lennon Symphonic Rhapsody too but I just wish he would of used more than one scale in the piece.....arggggggggggggh

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Michigansax said:
And don't forget the one from 1984 that bests them all......Lennon's Symphonic Rhapsody.
HEARD!!!!!

One of our best concertos that for some reason I always forget about. A fantastic piece from beginning to end. Beautiful orchestration.

Angel

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
No commercial releases as far as I know.

Angel

1 - 9 of 9 Posts