Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a couple Tenney Slants that seem to have been worked on and look a bit rough. I'd like to get these put back into something close to Doc Tenney's original specifications. Who is carrying on Doc Tenney's work these days or who would be a person that would be able to sort out these pieces.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,579 Posts
I thought that would be Benjamin Allen, but not sure if he takes on re-face work or just makes/sells the 10E pieces.

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
1,146 Posts
Contact Ben, he’s your best source....

·
Registered
Alto sax, Tenor sax, Clarinet
1,306 Posts
You might try contacting Mark Overton at Saxquest with this question. He knew Doc very well, and I have read that he spent some time with him in his shop.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
7,212 Posts
Ben Allen studied under Doc Tenney.
He stated to me that he had a slightly brighter concept for his 10E, than that of Doc's Jazzmaster.

Contact Benjamin Allen, Tony., as others have commented.
I am sure that he would know Doc's facing curves, etc.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,937 Posts
Ben Allen studied under Doc Tenney.
He stated to me that he had a slightly brighter concept for his 10E, than that of Doc's Jazzmaster.

Contact Benjamin Allen, Tony., as others have commented.
I am sure that he would know Doc's facing curves, etc.
I'd be surprised if Mojobari hasn't measured Doc's facing curves.

FWIW, in my conversations with Ben Allen, he indicated that he wasn't so much trained by Doc, rather he called it "mentored". Not to diminish Ben's work at all - he has a great touch.

·
1,146 Posts
Ben’s in Tampa, you can reach him on FB....

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Doc had a book of all his facings. He was very meticulous.

I have a whole bag of mouthpieces with his standard facings and experimental stuff.

I know a guy that has more.

2 stories exist about what happened to the book.

I'll make a call tomorrow and see if I can get some more info.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
1,146 Posts

·
Registered
8,026 Posts
He moved to Boston, then to Tampa...
Smart move.
I tried one of the Doc Tenney Links but it seem dull to me. It seems he liked fat rails.
That’s the problem with having a couple of very good Links. Anything I try “Link like” doesn’t compare to a great original.

·
Registered
8,975 Posts
Doc may have helped a few Refacers develop. He invited me to ask him some questions via Email for a while and I did. He did not like to share refacing info on public forums. Some of his insights were great. Others were opinions I could not confirm via my testing but I probably have a few of those kind of opinions too.

I have measured a number of his facings and when they were recent they were great. I have measured several crooked facings too but I concluded that he did not set them up that way. The hard rubber must have warped due to exposure to heat over time. I have had a few of my own refaced HR mouthpieces come back to me for alterations a couple of years after I worked on them and some were crooked too. Some hard rubber is more unstable than others.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Ben’s in Tampa, you can reach him on FB....
Don’t do the book of faces - I was skeptical from the beginning and with everything that we know now, one would have to be nuts to join.

Not responding to multiple mouthpiece inquiries made by phone and email over the past year, I think it’s safe to assume that mr. Allen has moved on to other things at this point. I wish someone would prove me wrong as I’ve been jonesing for one of his late version 10e’s for a while now.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I have noticed recently that Ben's website is no longer available. My guess is that he is no longer in the mouthpiece business. That's a shame. I have an original TD model that I would really like to have in a slightly smaller tip opening.

·
1,146 Posts
I sent him a fb message, haven’t heard back yet...

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
That is a shame indeed. The TD is still one of my main pieces. Very versatile and powerfulI. I also still have a 10E. I think Ben's work is (was) great!

·
Premium Member
15,478 Posts
Doc was REMARKABLE when it came to fixing rubber shanks and tips that had broken. I had a few, and the work was outrageously great. He had an amazing way of fixing broken parts where you couldn’t even tell something had been broken before. At the time he was doing his work, I personally preferred the playability and voicing of the pieces done by Theo and Jon Van Wie. It’s all subjective as to what we each like, but I enjoyed the work of those two others moreso.

The 2 big contributions of Docs work for me, were his way of fixing broken hard rubber pieces and that he was a master of the table “butt-cut” ...he was great at it! People had been opening up pieces from the tip, and Docs butt-cut made it so the inner geometry still stayed intact, while opening up pieces from the angling of the butt end of the table.

I heard that he didn’t want anyone to have any of his information about anything, so he burned everything in a fire. Simon, did you hear differently?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts