Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,831 Posts
Ouch! And I thought Theo's pieces were priced high! Even the Brazilian mpc maker (forgot his name) isn't that high!

Now, has Sanborn switched to this piece? It's inmaterial, but just curious, cause he has been playing a Florida Dukoff for years!

·
Premium Member
15,485 Posts
Brian's a great guy to work with.
Thats an extremely high price for a new mouthpiece, but its being marketed as a limited edition piece, its sterling silver, and a piece Sanborn personally helped design---so the price is higher.
It's a beautiful looking piece. I bet it plays great.
This is a piece that will most likely only sell to overseas buyers. Anything Sanborn is a part of, will be a great product. Ever try the original Saxworks mpcs?---they are excellent pieces.
I have had many, and all were at the very least, excellent players. Sanborn is ultra, ultra picky, so I BET THIS IS A PHENOMENAL PIECE.
At that price, it will take a long time to sell all of them. I think its very overpriced too. Sanborn himself, will really need to help market these heavily to sell them at that price. If they had priced it at $995 they would sell out overseas in a few months.
Its a beautiful looking piece.

·
Premium Member
15,485 Posts
To me, thats priced at a great place on ebay....but I dont think its the "sterling silver" model.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Yeah, that one is not sterling silver. But, those mouthpieces look very well made considering other high mouthpieces that look very uneven and not finished properly.

sent from Mikey's Super Inspire 4G

·
Registered
297 Posts
For my money it's a ridiculous outlay for ANY mouthpiece. But I'm sure lots of folks who have lots of money will buy them up. To each his/her own.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,016 Posts
For my money it's a ridiculous outlay for ANY mouthpiece. But I'm sure lots of folks who have lots of money will buy them up. To each his/her own.
Me too. I immediately thought "rip off," but then I read 10M's comments and he obviously knows something about these, so maybe they are great mpcs. But you're certainly paying a premium for solid silver, nice cosmetics, and a name (Sanborn), but none of those things, valuable as they may be, contribute to how the mpc plays and sounds. I'm pretty sure you could get just as good a mpc in those terms (play and sound) without all the 'bells and whistles" for less than $300.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Not that it matters, but isn't the FL silver piece something like $2500-$3000? Do they even require human intervention?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,033 Posts
In the 1960s I bought new Selmer Mark VIs, soprano, alto, tenor and low A bari + a new Buffet clarinet for less than $1,600. It may be a nice mouthpiece but certainly a lot of hype.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
David is not playing this piece....he's still playing on his Dukoff!
It says he helped in the design or something along those lines. I know that Takeshi Itoh of T-Square uses one, they have a couple videos.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,938 Posts
In the 1960s I bought new Selmer Mark VIs, soprano, alto, tenor and low A bari + a new Buffet clarinet for less than $1,600. It may be a nice mouthpiece but certainly a lot of hype.
Back in the day, you could probably buy a new Pontiac for that much money!

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,016 Posts
Back in the day, you could probably buy a new Pontiac for that much money!
Good point. Back in the early '80s, I bought a used Dodge Dart for $400 and drove it for several years, including a trip to Mexico and back. That's one of the reasons I was able to afford a MKVI tenor for $1000 at about the same time.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,033 Posts
At the time, a new Porsche 356c was $3,300 and an XKE about $4,300. Also a house on an acre near me was about $40K and now the land is worth $2M. I also had a full head of hair, no wrinkles and not a care in the world!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts