Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently picked up a Soprano Sax, off of E-bay. But I am unsure of who really to listen to, to get an idea of what tonal concept I would like to follow.
I listen to alot of music when I drive and when I am working on homework. Jazz works best for both, as it calms me down and doesn't distract me. Who would you recomend to listen to on Soprano?

I would like to say, before the thread officially starts. I am not going to attempt to devolop a Soprano tone, until after auditions. As that and school are taking all of my attention right now.

Thanks.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,029 Posts
Jay Beckenstein - specifically Elegy for Trane
Branford Marsalis - Romances For Saxophone

Then go practice for a few hours on your scales.

·
13,029 Posts
I played Romances for my students as they packed up at the end of the lesson/set up at the beginning. Handing them a score of one of the piece being played was a good lesson in reading and listening at the same time.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor
4,379 Posts
I'm impressed with Joshua Redman's soprano sound.

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. I have to wait until monday when I get paid. But I will check them out.
Keep them coming.
Thanks
~Carbs

·
4,147 Posts
Sydney Bechett (sp)
Wayne Shorter (Miles Daves: In a Silent Way, Bitches Brew)
Joe Farrell (Chick Corea: Return to Forever)
Jay Beckenstein (Spyro Gyra)
Branford
Coltrane
Grover Washington Jr.
Bennie Maupin (Herbie Hancock: Headhunters)
Joe Lovano

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I knew Coletrane played Soprano, and easily my favorite song of his was was My favorite things. It is the most awesome Soprano song I have heard him preform as of yet.

Thanks
~Carbs

·
4,147 Posts
Carbs said:
I knew Coletrane played Soprano, and easily my favorite song of his was was My favorite things. It is the most awesome Soprano song I have heard him preform as of yet.

Thanks
~Carbs

There is an amazing version of this song on the Newport '63 disc. 17+ minutes of pure bliss brought to you by Trane, McCoy Tyner, Roy Hanes, and I think Paul Chambers.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
1,612 Posts
There are a bunch of "accepted" soprano sounds, and I really don't like most of them. I do really like Jay Beckenstein and Joshua Redman on soprano, and I also like Paul McCandless.

Paul McCandless also regularly plays Bass Clarinet, Oboe, English Horn, etc., He's recorded quite a bit with a band called Oregon. You can get an idea of what he sounds like on Amazon. Scroll down and listen to some of the sound samples. "If", "Castle Walk", "Dark", and "Doff" should give you an idea of his sound.

Good luck and have fun!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008,
3,891 Posts
Listen to Gorelick

A lesson in how most of us would prefer you didnt sound

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks I am checking out that thread right now.

Thanks Martin W. my parents have a few of his (Kenny G's) Cd's. Its ok though, my parents like real Jazz too. (they have no choice I blast trane, cannonball and parker), while I study.

Thanks for all the recomendations. I think I just made my christmas list :twisted: .

·
Forum Contributor 2015, SOTW Better late than neve
4,272 Posts
Here's the whole list (for better or worse)
Required Listening; Soprano
Kenny G., Coltrane, Sidney Bechet, Walter Beasley, Grover Washington, George Howard, Steve Lacy, Zoot Sims, Branford Marsalis, Dave Liebman, Paul McCandless, Joshua Redman, Christian Vaudecranne, Andy Sheppard, Bill Evans, Jeff Coffin, Wayne Shorter, Philippe Laloy, Kenneth Tse, Steven Mauk, Kenneth Tse, Steven Mauk, Eugene Rousseau, Pharoah Sanders, Rahsaan Roland Kirk, Jan Garbarek, Evan Parker, Gary Bartz, John Surman, Charlie Mariano, Michael Blake, Tim Garland, Steve Wilson, Joe Farrel, Johnny Hodges, Bob Wilber, Kenny Davern, Carina Rascher, Gerard McChrystal, Greg Osby, Jane Ira Bloom, Lol Coxhill, Anders Paulsson, Nils Lindberg, Paul Winter, Buster Bailey Charlie Mariano, Ray Pizzi, Ravi Shankar, Ravi Shankar, Tomas Ornberg, Roy Williams, Kenny Davern

·
214 Posts
Check out what's available at a local library. I just about filled my first ipod with sax players I got from library including Branford, Redman, Koz, G, and many players who I had not heard of but learned to appreciate.

·
4,147 Posts
Carbs said:
Isn't it illeagil to copy those songs from the library? Since you didn't buy them?

Probably, but since the cds are so scratched up you pretty much have to put them on a computer to listen to the songs.

·
Heterodox nonconformist
403 Posts
Martinman said:
There is an amazing version of this song on the Newport '63 disc. 17+ minutes of pure bliss brought to you by Trane, McCoy Tyner, Roy Hanes, and I think Paul Chambers.
You should check out One Down, One Up recorded live at the Half Note. From what I understand, for decades, this was a "lost" recording which was somewhat recently discovered. Chronologically, it's the last recording of The Quartet. You know who I mean...McCoy, Elvin, Garrison, and the Trane himself. His energy and intensity on this album make his recording of Giant Steps sound like he was just warming up. My Favorite Things is on One Down, One Up and it's 22 minutes, 47 seconds of mind-blowing Coltrane fury. But, I digress.

Carbs, for soprano:
Sidney Bechet (the first jazz soprano saxophonist and first recorded jazz saxophonist, BTW)
Steve Lacy
Wayne Shorter
Branford Marsalis
Steve Lacy
Kenny Garrett
Chris Potter
Steve Lacy

1 - 20 of 75 Posts