Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey saxy community!

I was not sure where to post this so I figured here was good!

I'm passing through NOLA in 2 weeks and want to know where to check out some good tunes! I've been on Burboun St. before, but if anyone knows of something cool going on, say on April 20th, let me know!!!

Peace!
Brad

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
27,250 Posts
Yes, be sure to take in all the music you can, but don't ignore the food. Make sure while you're there that you beg, borrow or steal a reservation at Commander's Palace for lunch or dinner.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,329 Posts
Kermit Ruffins and Rebirth as mentioned. Also go to Snug Harbor....very classy jazz club. The food is super good down there. I'm from Baton Rouge, about 60 miles from N.O. On Bourbon Street there is usually some live music going on.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,329 Posts
There is also a big band that plays regularly..and some heavyweight just show up sometimes...Like if Wynton or Branford are in town they just show up.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone! Being a tourist in NOLA, it helps to have an idea of where to go ahead of time! I will be sure to check out your suggestions!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,312 Posts
Check out the Maple Leaf for some good blues. Used to see Walter "Wolfman" Washington there many moons ago.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,443 Posts
Do not miss Snug Harbor. Look up Mothers and Acme Oysters for bargains on real food. I dropped a bundle at Commander's Palace, and it is a memorable event if you can afford it. Goat cheese grits, lamb chops, nice wine list, lots of attention.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
+1 for Snug Harbor - usually more modern scene there, not so much in the traditional New Orleans style.

If you're looking for traditional, check out a little hole in the wall called Fritzels (sp?)

·
Registered
323 Posts
If he's still down there, Gary Brown would be a great guy to go see. He does lots of Funk/R&B stuff. It was a great time. I saw at two separate spots on Bourbon st.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I never got in once, the lines were so long.
We bought tickets in advance. Just by chance I met this kid who is their communications director on Mardi Gras Day, at the Zulu parade, and I told him "my wife and I are planning to go on Friday" and he said "buy tickets on the web site today."

We saw the Pres Hall Brass Band. Their alto player was amazing.

·
Registered
651 Posts
No, no, no, guys. Preservation Hall is for tourists only. Why wait in line and pay lots of money just to hear a bunch of old men paid to play the same old Dixieland songs over and over, day in and day out, who aren't even moved by the applause of the audience seated on the dirty floor before them? There is nothing worse than cheering on guys who don't seem to know that you even exist. Go somewhere where people really care, such as the clubs mentioned above by other forum members.

You can hear Dixieland for free around town anyway, or in the other bars in the same neighborhood.

But if you want to hear more modern jazz, be sure to look up Tony Dagradi, if he is still playing. Last I heard he was teaching at Loyola University and his band was called Astral Project. He is world class.

Moreover, you might check to see if Loyola just happens to have any jazz concerts going on while you are in town. I stopped in on several occasions myself, and heard Michael Brecker, and on another occasion, J.J. Johnson, and on another, Dave Liebman. Ask their Jazz Department who's playing in town and when.

Tulane University sometimes has free, outdoor jazz events on the quad, from local greats, if you want to look up the calendar online. the University of New Orleans may also do the same.

Many restaurants have live music, and it is just a question of going around asking who's playing where.

If you'd like to experience some unique music from a revival jazz-orchestra check out the calendar for The New Leviathan Oriental Fox-Trot Orchestra http://newleviathanorientalfoxtrotorchestra.com/. They are also phenomenal for the genre that they play.

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
Damn shame that in a town like New Orleans you have to find out where jazz is played by getting in touch with schools. The shape of jazz now..

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,718 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Umm, knocking Pres Hall is pretty inaccurate. Many of the best players in town play there regularly and the music is the real deal. The new Preservation Hall Jazz Band record "That's it!" is a fantastic record of fresh original music proving that New Orleans polyphonic jazz is still alive and kicking. Also that little tiny room is respected enough to draw regular visits and guest appearances by people like Ani DiFranco, Tom Waits, The Foo Fighters, Mos Def, Lenny Kravitz and on and on. Just cause it's famous with tourists doesn't mean it's a tourist trap. Also while the universities in town do play a role in the local jazz scene, they are only a small piece of the large and healthy New Orleans music scene. The shape of jazz is actually quite good here, thanks:) I realize it's been a few years since the OP's post, but for anyone else coming through, check out WWOZ.org for a pretty good listing of what's going on in town on any given night. I just took a quick glance at the listings and see 74 gigs including at least 10 acts that routinely play international jazz festivals and a several Grammy-winning artists playing around town tonight. That's just for Wednesday night. Weekends are busier:)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts