Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently got into Plas Johnson... I find his style really inspirational, and its made me start practicing again!

The problem is I can only find 2 CDs of him... I know no two players are the same but could anyone point me towards other players who sound similar?

·
Registered
881 Posts
Nobody sounds like Plas :)

I agree Plas is great. IMO, he has a very special style, and a very characteristic sound too. Can't think of anybody who comes very close to him in that respect. I have also tried to get hold of more recordings with Plas. He has released a good number of records previously, but they are not easy to get. Not available in iTunes-store at least... You could try to do some research and find out where he has contributed as side-man. Definitely he appears on a number of Henry Mancini records, including the movie-soundtrack for the Blake Edwards film "The Party", check the song "Birdie Birdie Num Num", typical Plas. I think he also played with some of the old jazz divas, but can't remember if he played with the best of them all, Dinah Washington, but he has contributed with Ella Fitzgerald, Nancy Wilson, Peggy Lee, Frank Sinatra, and even Nat King Cole to mention a few. Check www.plasjohnson.com for more info and see if you can dig up what are the actual songs he plays on. And, don't forget to tell us at SOTW if you find out anything interesting. :)

·
Registered
881 Posts
... if you start looking at his merits as elaborated on his web-page you realize he is probably one of the saxophone-players who have recorded with the largest number of big-shots. I just realized he has even played with Frank Zappa...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,228 Posts
Jackie Kelso, on tenor, reminds me a little bit of Plas, soundwise, on commercial recordings.

I have an old LP recording from 1966, called "Quincy's Got A Brand New Bag", with Plas and Jewel Grant that features a lot of Plas laying it on pretty thick. I don't know if it's available in cd, but it might be worth checking out.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Plas

The guy who sounds like Plas - is PLAS !!!!

I believe the Plas-Man recently turned 80. Still blowing strong. He plays about a 160 Berg, but with a very soft reed.

Besides his jazz activities, Plas was also the sax man on many historic rock 'n roll and West Coast R&B sides. Plas was the "Purple People Eater". They sped up the tape to give it that goofy sound.

The man is a classic !

·
2,766 Posts
Plas has a sexy little solo on Marvin Gaye's "If I Should Die Tonight" off of his Let's Get It On album. It sounds like him, anyway. Gorgeous tone.

Gene Ammons has a similarly deep tone (albeit in a different kind of way) to Plas.

·
2,766 Posts
Also, check out the thread about Pete Christlieb in this section of the forums. If you like Plas, you'll like Pete. Of course, I don't see how anyone could not like Plas and Pete.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I took a lesson with plas johnson :)

braging off.

Huge guy on the licks. Thats what the entire 2 hour for 80 dollars lesson was about. Yes he uses a very wide tip opening and synthetic reeds. Personally, I felt he sounded like crap. I think the age has finally got the better of him. I hope he never reads this :)

His ideas are amazing. His understanding of chords is amazing. His stories are amazing. He's a nice guy too.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,316 Posts
Go to amazon.com and search in music for Plas Johnson. Amazon has several albums listed, mostly through third party vendors.

·
2,766 Posts
JackThe7th said:
I took a lesson with plas johnson :)

braging off.

Huge guy on the licks. Thats what the entire 2 hour for 80 dollars lesson was about. Yes he uses a very wide tip opening and synthetic reeds. Personally, I felt he sounded like crap. I think the age has finally got the better of him. I hope he never reads this :)

His ideas are amazing. His understanding of chords is amazing. His stories are amazing. He's a nice guy too.
He was phoning it in at your lesson. I worked with him last year with Jazz @ Lincoln Center. He sounded weak and frail at the rehearsals, but on the concert he was smokin'! Sounded just like the Plaz we love.

Weird set up though. Silverplated Yamaha tenor with a metal berg and Bari brand baritone reeds. Oh well, it works for him.

BTW, there is a "Casa Loma Orchestra" recording from around 1960 featuring Plaz and other LA jazz guys. In fact, the whole band was put together just for the date. The "real" Casa Loma band had long since disbanded but leader Glenn Grey had a contract with Capitol records for an occasional album. Some nice charts by Benny Carter are featured.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts