Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems most people have the 66. I decided on the 86 because I rally like the sound I get from it. Hoping I made the right choice, there is not a 66 for 100 mile's. A dealer was going to bring one in for me to try but that is not working out. So I have ordered an 86

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,998 Posts
I love it when people order their horn and THEN ask advice... or is it just looking for affirmation, that you don't really want an answer other than the one you chose?

G'luck!

·
Premium Member
1,881 Posts
I had one for sale on here for much less than the one you ordered and I just listed it for Ebay, its scheduled to appear 7PM EST - not too late to cancel the listing - it's will appear on ebay tonight with a 3000 Buy it Now, and it's only three weeks old. Ebay number 170690091277. I had it for sale here for 2850 or something like that. Where were you, amigo?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks I have play tested the 86ul against the Selmer ref 54 and Yanasigawa 901, the 86 was the choice. I have read a lot of the threads on the 66...as I stated the 66 is not available for me to test and will be awhile before I can get to one. I am expecting my horn in a few weeks I am wonder why how if other are happy with it, if not why?

thanks

·
Registered
88 Posts
The 86 is a very powerful, fat sounding horn and it is different from the 66 because it has straight tone holes. The finish is different to the 66RUL as well, it kind of has a light burgundy unlacquered finish. I enjoyed trying it recently at Long and McQuade in Vancouver.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have a tonne of comparisons-- 66 and 86 etc etc on you tube. My choice is the 86ul-- i own own and love it, but 66 is similar-- not as dark/ rich, but arguably a little broader and with a tad more bite/ bark. go to rogermanins on you tube. I did them for myself as much as for anyone else!
Roger

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the videos Rodger they are extremely helpful! I have the 86 silver plate on the way, I will have it next week. I see that you tried the 86 silver plate. What did you think of it? I am sure I will be very happy with this..
Ballad Man I was at Long an McQuade to try the 86 just before I order it and wow did I enjoy it, they where trying to bring in the 66rul but....I was down there last week and saw that they now have the 66, but did not have my mouth piece with me. I might still go and try it out. Anyway thanks for the info

1 - 9 of 9 Posts