Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Up for my first post:

I've been playing one recently (about 2 months) and i am very happy with it. Big low end and enough edge when i want to, plays very easy to me and i can get a lot of different sounds out of it....
I like it more than the florida stm and jody jazz HR i was playing on the year before.
He's also great to deal with, great communication!

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Up for my first post:

I've been playing one recently (about 2 months) and i am very happy with it. Big low end and enough edge when i want to, plays very easy to me and i can get a lot of different sounds out of it....
I like it more than the florida stm and jody jazz HR i was playing on the year before.
He's also great to deal with, great communication!
What size do you play?

·
Registered
631 Posts
I have one that was sitting in a drawer and I played on it last night on my Borgani.
It is a darkish mouthpiece with a really good sound. I wish I could get a tad more edge to it
as my sound is on the darker side. I like the mouthpiece.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,316 Posts
FWIW I have a Morgan Fry Slant and it's a great player.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I ordered a FLZ Slant 7* 4 weeks ago from Morgans web site. I have not received it yet, but will make a short review here, after playing it a week or two.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Ok, the Morgan Fry FLZ Slant tenor is really a great piece. Very fine craftsmanship and beautiful made. It has taken me 3 weeks to get used to it though. The sound is very different from the pieces I have played before. Dark, but still with lots of colors. Brighter than my Mouthpiece Café Espresso and JJ HR*. I had to get used to this the first weeks. Even if it has a bit brightness, it is not thin sounding in the top at all. I really like that. The intonation is spot on. Even in the palm keys, where I normally play a little sharp.

If it sounds like a typical Link Slant, I can’t say. Well it is not a Tone Edge. I have compared it with a Phil Tone custom Tone Edge. Very different. The FLZ has more power and is more crisp, but also more focused. Well describing a sound is not easy for me. (and not in English anyway :) ) It is very versatile and I have used it for Big Band, in a jazz ensemble and for blues and rock. I does it all.

I have a lot of mouthpieces in the drawer. Some of them I really liked the first time I played them. But after a while I felt they were not right and something was missing. But with the FLZ it’s a bit the other way around. It grows every time I play it. Best reeds for me right now is green and blue Vandoren. Rigotti Gold didn’t work for me. They sounded a bit to airy and harsh. Hemke were nice, but maybe a bit to dark.

Actually it is hard to find a negative thing about this piece. Maybe only that this is not the loudest piece in the world. But it still projects fine. If you should order one, then be aware that Morgan Fry seems to be a busy man, so it will take a little while before it arrives. But his service is very good. Nice guy do deal with and answers fast on email. He even offered me to open or close it to a different size for free if the size was wrong for me.

Regards
Jan

·
Registered
500 Posts
I have a lot of mouthpieces in the drawer. Some of them I really liked the first time I played them. But after a while I felt they were not right and something was missing. But with the FLZ it's a bit the other way around. It grows every time I play it.
Hello Jan
have you still got th mpc and has it still grown?
i'm thinkig of getting one as well
thanks
Tom

·
Registered
436 Posts
Yes, I still have it. But right now I am mainly playing a New Vintage HR Link 8 refaced by Morgan Fry. Actually they are very close sound wise. The Link is a bit darker, and I tend to play a little bright. Yesterday I found my old Jody Jazz HR* in the drawer and tried it. Full, warm and dark. And I asked myself why I don't play this piece anymore... So maybe I should stop fooling around with all these nice pieces and just practice ;-)

But the FLZ is a great piece. Very well made. I would still recommend it. Just a little to bright for me right now.

/Jan

1 - 12 of 12 Posts