Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok jazz sax historians, here's a question for you.
I think I heard this on a jazz show on TV called "One of a Kind" and I used to have a recording of that, but can't find it.
Or, it may have been Coltrane from a Newport recording or something. I know it was a tenor track, but I don't have one so I play the lines I remember (50 years later!) on alto. I have listened to dozens of Trane and Sonny recordings from the time (guessing late 60's / early 70's) and haven't found anything even close.

Can anyone identify who played it, what's it called and is it available somewhere?

·
Registered
YSS62, YAS62, YTS62, YBS62, Sopranino
452 Posts
It doesn’t sound like a piece Coltrane played (I believe I’ve heard literally everything). So I’d guess Sonny. Don’t know the tune though.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It doesn’t sound like a piece Coltrane played (I believe I’ve heard literally everything). So I’d guess Sonny. Don’t know the tune though.
I was thinking around the time of Transition, but again, not sure, it does "feel" more like Sonny near "Keep Hold of Yourself".

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,233 Posts
It's a McCoy tune called "Inner Glimpse." McCoy's band which includes Joe Henderson and Freddie play it on a fabulous YT vid. Bassist Charles Fambrough and I used to play this when he was with McCoy back in the '70s. We had it up to like 9000bpm hah hah. You sound good playing it.

·
Registered
Super 20 tenor, "Zephyr 20" alto (it's complicated), King "H.N. White" soprano
185 Posts
I was thinking this reminded me of somethign Joe Henderson played on but couldn't place it.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
It's a McCoy tune called "Inner Glimpse." McCoy's band which includes Joe Henderson and Freddie play it on a fabulous YT vid. Bassist Charles Fambrough and I used to play this when he was with McCoy back in the '70s. We had it up to like 9000bpm hah hah. You sound good playing it.
THANKS! Definitely the tune, which I have pretty wrong from memory, but I wrote a tune several years ago that was inspired by this one.

I could swear there's a version where the tenor starts it and without trumpet. It's in my mind. I do recognize the McCoy playing here and I recall that, maybe they played it on a live gig. I've listened to everything I can find. (I'll keep looking). It's good vehicle for Freddie.

There's a version on McCoy's "Enlightenment" that I may have in my memory.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,233 Posts
You are welcome. Charles had me playing this around 1977-78 if my memory is correct, so the tune has probably been recorded a few times at least.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You are welcome. Charles had me playing this around 1977-78 if my memory is correct, so the tune has probably been recorded a few times at least.
Now I can try to play the actual melody 😂
It's possible I saw it played by McCoy in Saint Paul with his quartet which is the players on the above YouTube. I may have snuck my Walkman in to record that concert. Azar sounds like the sound I remember. I still have a few cassettes from those days, the last concerts of Monk and Bill Evans.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts