Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm specifically trying to research Brilhart Level-Airs/LevelAirs.

I read that at one point Selmer bought Brilhart.
Then I read JJ Babbit had Brilhart mpcs.
But I cannot find Brilhart mpcs on either of their websites.
Beechler has ARB which is a Brilhart design.
Also read the the Levelair is made by Runyon, but not sure if true nor which Runyon model.

Thanks.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,766 Posts
Selmer (USA) makes Brilhart "Special" and "Ebolin" mouthpieces. They discontinued the "Tonalin" and all the other plastic & HR models.

The new "Ebolins" are not quite the same as the vintage ones, but they play well and they're cheap.

As far as the Level/Air goes, I don't know if they're in production. They were never a popular mouthpiece anyway. In 30 years, I've only come across one cat who played one. I've seen photos of Ornette Coleman with one.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor
4,379 Posts
The search function will give you a number of earlier posts about the old and new Level Airs.

·
Registered
8,979 Posts
I'm not sure, but I do not think Babbitt made Brilharts.

Arnold R. Brilhart worked for Beechler at on point. The ARBs are his designs. They are similar to his old designs.

Runyon makes the current Level Aire for Selmer. It is a Quantum design on the inside and a Smoothbore design on the outside. It comes with 2 removable baffles. WW&BW was selling it but only up to size 9. This sounds large but are only ~.098-.099" on tenor and bari. IMO this design plays best in the 10-14 sizes.

·
Registered
6,360 Posts
There is a new Brilhart Level Air metal that looks nothing like the famous or infamous ones from the 70's. I doubt the new one is an Arnold Brilhart design.
Arnold Brilhart also designed the Rico Royal Metalites (no longer in production) and Graftonites.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts