Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
That there is the same basic horn as the last Vito Johnny Hodges played. I believe it's Beaugnier made, and it appears it might have been assembled in USA.

There seems to be some question whether it's called a model 35 or a model 100.

Opinions of its playing character seem to range from "meh" to "wow!" so I guess you will have to tell us about this particular example.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,799 Posts
From what period does this sax dates ?
here is all you need to know

http://www.doctorsax.biz/vito_ser_nos.htm

Model 35 have the complex Leblanc mechanics as the semi-rationale but has cork to regulate the action instead of the more complex screws used on the Leblanc horns.

They are complex to regulate. Kim Slava, Doctor Sax , is one of the major experts in the world about these horns. Despite their peculiarity they are not easy to sell. I had one for a couple of years and didn’t sell then I sent it to Kim to sell and he took three years.

Yours doesn’t look in particular good nick.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
I think those are good horns. I had a vintage Vito alto for a while, but mine was a cheaper one that wasn't really sturdy. I think the ergos on those need a bit of getting used to. But they are nice blowing horns with a good vibe to the sound.

I like those vintage American horns, even though I play the YAS23 also now. The Yamaha is more neutral sounding (less personality) to me, but the older student models are built like a tank which I like. And I do prefer the modern ergonomics.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts