Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got this horn, which is in pretty good shape. I have read that Buescher, Conn, Marin, and Courturier all made L&H stencils. (I own a L&H C melody that is pretty obviously a Buescher.) Nothing about this horn says Buescher, Conn, or Martin to me. And I'm just not familiar enough with Courturier to have a real opinion.

I will post some pictures. I think the octave mech. and the left hand pinky cluster are particularly distinctive. I'm pretty sure the tone holes are soldered on, but they are done so well you almost can't tell. I am leaning toward Courturier, but can anyone confirm this? Thanks in advance for any insight you may have.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
726 Posts
This is a H.N.White -King made soprano, I play one exactly like this one, mine is silver plated, engraved King made in 1914, but the pinky cluster is slightly different.
I posted a lot of info about this horn here on SOTW, if you search “King 1914 C soprano” you can read it.
I love my horn, it has a very good intonation except for middle C# (without octave key), this note it’s a little bit flat, but for me is not a problem because if I play it in a passage I can play it well, without problem, and If I need to play it exactly in tune at the end of a phrase or holding that note, in a long note, I use the side keys to vent it to reach the exact intonation.
If you keep it, you’re going to love it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many thanks to electricfigue! I read your review of the 1914 King and looked at the pix, and this is absolutely the same horn. As you say, the pinky cluster is a bit different, but clearly in the same style.
I don't know why, but I didn't even think of King.
I'm a repair guy and I got it playing today. The intonation really is quite good, and it is just a really well made horn.
I will play around with it, but it is probably going to end up on Ebay if I can't find a local buyer. Mind if I post a link to your review?
Thanks again!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
726 Posts
Hi Chaucer, no I don’t mind, you can use it on eBay or anywhere, I posted here to share it with other musicians, no problem.
I use this soprano as my main soprano on a rock band, you can see it on this video, there is a solo near the end, if you want to use the video as a reference you can do it also: https://youtu.be/I9dwcOZBPLU

1 - 5 of 5 Posts