Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This Academy alto sax has been at a local Pawn store for about two years. The only identification is the name 'Academy', a serial number (693xx) and 'Made in Germany'. I couldn't find any information about this stencil. I'm guessing 1960's? A student model? I wonder if someone can help me identify who made it and when. They want $250 for it which I think is a little high. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,324 Posts
It has superba keyguards and sx90 type right hand pinky keys...def. keilwerth

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you very much! I'm guessing that the serial number might follow Keilwerth serial numbers which puts this sax around 1959/60. It also doesn't have rolled tone holes which would put it into a cheaper student line. What sort of value would one put on this? It hasn't been tested. I'm also wondering why this stencil isn't mentioned anywhere? - when you do searches on the name it is like it doesn't exist ... I haven't seen it referenced under Keilwerth anywhere.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That might explain things if they were stenciled for a chain of stores in Canada. The sax is in Kitchener, Ontario. This sax too seems to be of a very sturdy build.

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
Thank you very much! I'm guessing that the serial number might follow Keilwerth serial numbers which puts this sax around 1959/60. It also doesn't have rolled tone holes which would put it into a cheaper student line. What sort of value would one put on this? It hasn't been tested. I'm also wondering why this stencil isn't mentioned anywhere? - when you do searches on the name it is like it doesn't exist ... I haven't seen it referenced under Keilwerth anywhere.
Thanks again!
I would guess it's quite a bit later than that based on the construction and shape of the spatula keys. Perhaps post 1980? Selmer would still have had a pretty good patent lock on that design in 1960, and generally speaking, stencil serial numbers don't usually follow the OEM's numbers. That said, it's just speculation on my part.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,153 Posts
I agree, end '70 beginning of the '80 Keilwerth

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks! I wouldn't have guessed that ... Are there any equivalent Keilwerths out there? I'm just wondering what the quality might be?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks! They definitely look similar! Does anyone know when the New King series IV first made its appearance? I can't seem to find a date anywhere ...

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have an American "Master" Super Deluxe alto.An obvious Keilwerth stencil 488xxx. Mine does have rolled tone hole and a high F# too. Akin to the New King series IV as pictured above. Ebay purchase shipped from a Canadian border area. Great playing and sounding horn btw.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
I just bought one of these Canadian New King IV alto stencils at a farm sale for $23. It's a relaq with straight toneholes, older pads, and a definite leak somewhere that gives G1 an unusual octave undertone, and causes low C to warble. But the horn's in good mechanical condition otherwise, straight rods with just a few small dents, a rich tone, snappy action, and a very sturdy feel. The case smells very bad, and is now airing out, but may need to be incinerated.

The SN is 609XX, which puts it in the late '60s. It's stamped MADE IN GERMANY, but doesn't have the JK Best in the World logo anywhere, alas.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Ok so it's not just the case: the horn smells bad too. Like a damp basement. Which makes sense, as that's where it's been for years.

I cleaned it with Windex and left it out in the sun all day, but it's still musty. I'll try lemon Pledge next, and stuff it with newspapers. If that doesn't work, I might try using a UV ozone lamp.

Still, it's my first Keilwerth! And someone on SOTW said that the stencils are often every bit as good as the Keilwerth-branded New Kings. If it comes to it, I might even consider a chem bath and full repad.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,816 Posts
Post a pic !

Yours is significantly older than the OP'er's, which is a significantly old OP :|Ours would be a series IV, likely. The OP'ers horn was NOT a series IV, it was something newer than that given the redesigned pinky table and spat touches. But likely the body was identical to a IV. Loos sorta like a bridge model between the 'vintage' and 'modern' JK's.

Interesting that Academy would have been a stencil subcontracted to JK for so long...almost 20 years (?)

Many JK stencils do not have the insignia. And get this, many JK stencils do not even read "Germany".

But back to YOUR new acquisition.

Alas, my friend...I have unwelcome news for you; the stench, probably 65% of it.... is in the pads. Cleaning the metal horn can take away maybe 15% of it. Disassembling and wiping each pad a couple times with naptha fluid, then reassembling... may well take away another 20% of it

But the stench is likely in the felts, so a topical treatment on the leather pads will only go so deep.

Repad maybe not necessary. But in instances such as this I find, replacing at least 1/3 of the pads will considerably improve the situation.

Nevertheless, for that dolla'...nice take.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Alas, my friend...I have unwelcome news for you; the stench, probably 65% of it.... is in the pads. Cleaning the metal horn can take away maybe 15% of it. Disassembling and wiping each pad a couple times with naptha fluid, then reassembling... may well take away another 20% of it

But the stench is likely in the felts, so a topical treatment on the leather pads will only go so deep.

Repad maybe not necessary. But in instances such as this I find, replacing at least 1/3 of the pads will considerably improve the situation.

Nevertheless, for that dolla'...nice take.
Just out of curiousity, I have to ask: My understanding is that it's the ultraviolet wavelengths in sunlight that kill mold; would using UV lamps be useful at all? I suppose it's possible that it might do more harm to the leather than it does good killing mold, however, but I have to believe that some desperate and enterprising person has given it a go at one time or another . . . I tried a Google search for the topic and didn't see anything for it, but maybe I missed it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,153 Posts
I have been advocating the use of UV-Ozone sterilizers. I have a small unit meant for show and it does seem to work.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts