Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Holton Collegiate bass sax serial 288xx. The horn has many construction features similar to Conn basses; x style body to bell brace, pivot screws in many locations includunig a pair of combined rod -pivots for the top stack. However this horn is keyed up to F3 and has a right hand C to D trill key. I have heard that mostAmerican basses stencils were Conns. Is it possible Holton made their own basses. I wish I knew how to attach pictures here.

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
I have a Holton Collegiate bass sax serial 288xx. The horn has many construction features similar to Conn basses; x style body to bell brace, pivot screws in many locations includunig a pair of combined rod -pivots for the top stack. However this horn is keyed up to F3 and has a right hand C to D trill key. I have heard that mostAmerican basses stencils were Conns. Is it possible Holton made their own basses. I wish I knew how to attach pictures here.
The Collegiate brand was introduced 1928 by Holton and initially made with Couturier tools. Lowest serial numbers ca. 31,xxx.

However the Couturier saxophone family never included a bass sax, the lowest were baritones which are quite rare. Holton possibly built a prototype bass saxophone in the early twenties, as far as I know this is not yet evidenced. Both Buescher and Conn made bass saxophones and both occasionally served Holton with saxophones.

Apart from photos of your horn the serial number might be the key to the manufacturer. I consider two possibilities:

1. The number has six digits e.g. 288,xxx slightly stamped in an arc, then the bass sax would probably be made by Buescher.

2. The five digit number is preceded by a 'P'. This would indicate a Pan American BIC origin, a subsidiary of Conn.

I tend to the second possibility.

If the attachement don't work, you may try e.g. photobucket or flickR. After uploading a photo you copy a link into your posting.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
1,526 Posts
Re: Holton Collegiate bass sax pictures

Man! What a tease... Lemme see it!...

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
I merged the two threads which are about the same saxophone together.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bass sax photos, attempt 2

I apologise in advance for my inexperience with this process. It appears that I must start a new thread in order to find a window to upload pics. Perhaps the files were too large. I have since compressed the pics and will try to send them again. If this does not work I would really appreciate some assistance in understanding how this process works. Thank you for your patience.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
A few more pics
Thank you for the photos. This bass saxophone is going to add a new so far unknown detail on saxophone history.

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
Let us look carefully at the front engraving, which may be our starting point.

The Collegiate series was introduced spring 1928 at about the same time like the Wiedoeft Model.

The design on the bell engraving above indicates the very first Collegiate series I which was built in Elkhorn with Couturier tools after the LaPorte factory was closed. This first series was substituted ca. 1930 by the Collegiate series II which was made with tools developed in Elkhorn by Holton.* Like stated before the Couturier saxophones did not include the bass.

What does this mean concerning the bass saxophone in question?

First conclusion: the bass saxophone was definately made within the years 1928-1930.
Second conclusion - and that is not very surprising - this saxophone was neither made by Holton nor with Couturier tools which is the case for the rest of this Collegiate I series**.

So, is electricfigue right with his assumption?

What do further particulars tell about this bass saxophone - the first Collegiate I bass saxophone ever appeared - and I think this might be the only one in the world labelled as such. A special custom ordered instrument just before the collapse of the stock market.

* the complete explanation would go beyond the scope.
** another exception: metal clarinets - Collegiate I (pretty rare) - were made by Holton with their own original tools.

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
Did you notice the 'Made By' under the logo COLLEGIATE? This means that Holton created this label - not this very bass saxophone!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It seems odd to me that this horn has keywork that the other bass sax manufactuerers did not even use on their own top line instruments yet. I believe that Conn did not include E3 or F3 keywork untill they redesigned their bass some time later. The X type body to bell brace is similar to their bass saxes, both stenciled and own. I believe Beuscher used a single bar body to bell brace. The rings holding the sections of the body tube do not look like those used by either Conn or Beuscher.

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
It seems odd to me that this horn has keywork that the other bass sax manufactuerers did not even use on their own top line instruments yet. I believe that Conn did not include E3 or F3 keywork untill they redesigned their bass some time later. The X type body to bell brace is similar to their bass saxes, both stenciled and own. I believe Beuscher used a single bar body to bell brace. The rings holding the sections of the body tube do not look like those used by either Conn or Beuscher.
Well observed. And you are raising the right questions.
We will find consistant answers on each and disclose the secret of this remarkable horn.

Let us go step by step.

Enlarging the right side of this attached photo - above the left hand side keys - I am wondering if there is stamped another number?!

http://forum.saxontheweb.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=28676&d=1308880872

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have not seen any other numbering near the side keys. The only numbering I see is on the main body tube, this reads, Bb 288XX LP . It is possible that some single digit is printed on the back side of a key, but I dont recall seeing it in the course of the overhaul. If you would like I can send other pictures. Just tell me which areas you want to see in greater detail.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
729 Posts
As I said before I am not a Buescher expert, but here it is a picture of my 1923 Buescher C melody, I can find a lot of things very similar to this bass: the key guards, the left pinky spatula, the key cups, the pearl button receiver, and the C/D# spatulas. Maybe I am wrong, I don´t know for sure, but if I should to bet on this one I say it´s Buescher.
http://i1008.photobucket.com/albums/af204/lepoisondargent/King C soprano/cmel.jpg

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
Thank you for the info, S Stubbs and thank you, electricfigue for your contribution.

As my time is currently limited, I decided not to describe the complete procedure to narrow down the manufacturer which was my original plan. Nevertheless I don't want to withhold the result of my research:

This bass saxophone was made by the Elkhart Band Instrument Company, a subsidiary of Buescher and Conn since ca. 1925. The body is a Buescher body, which was originally made by Buescher in the late teenth. The tools were outsourced later and transferred to the new company. Elkhart BIC saxophones are very well made and were sold to many stencilling companies e.g. Lyon&Healy, H. Troup and sometimes Holton. The year of manufacture is 1929 +/- one year.

I know this is a very short answer. So ask all questiones you want. I try to answer them all.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
alto: 82Zii/Medusa/Supreme, tenor: Medusa, bari: b-901, sop, sc-990
7,571 Posts
…Nevertheless I don't want to withhold the result of my research:

This bass saxophone was made by the Elkhart Band Instrument Company…
Once again, member LaPorte has discovered the hidden truth. Watch out Sherlock Holmes!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.