Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Phil Barone, Theo Wanna, Phil Engleman, Ted Klum, etc, etc...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,831 Posts
Aaron Drake.

Great customer service, reasonable prices, and excellent work!

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh by the way, please put why you like them.

·
Banned
492 Posts
Hey Tony,... I'm in middle school too! I only have two custom(ized) mouthpieces, and both are by Phil Barone. A custom New York 6M for my alto and custom Vintage 6* for my tenor. They both play great so I'd have to say Phil Barone. I use Rico JS 2.0 for both of them,... they work a little better than the Vandoren V16. I also have a stock Meyer 5M, but don't use it so much anymore. I use an AL4 in school mostly though.

Mr. Barone takes the time to talk to you to see if what you think you need is really what actually need. I like that, especially being someone new to this stuff. He also doesn't mind taking the time to talk with my folks about equipment,... not so much to market them to death, but kinda to educate them I guess. When I got my tenor, I was told I had to send Mr. Barone a video of me playing so he could decide how to customize my mouthpiece and wouldn't ship the horn until he saw me play. That was pretty cool and all!

If you are thinking of getting a mouthpiece resurfaced or something,... Mr. Barone would be a good place to start. Assuming that's why you're researching the topic. Have your peeps give him a call or something. But I wouldn't spend any money having a Yamaha 4C worked on. Kinda like locking the front door while the back door is wide open.

·
6,831 Posts
Why are you asking?
Curiosity maybe? He's a kid!

I don't like Phil Barone, simply because I know people who have had very bad experiences with his "customer service", and both mouthpieces I tried of his (a 1993 Hollywood Tenor metal, and a 2009 HR Alto model), both looked unfinished and played with un-needed resistance!

That's my opinion.

Best refaced and custom pieces I have played have been Drakes and Tenneys.

·
2,853 Posts
Impossible to answer. I've had several mouthpieces from "the best" and some were incredibly good and others were incredibly bad. I don't believe that there is a "best" or "favorite" mouthpiece refacer/maker for me. For me, it's a hit or miss with everyone I've tried.

·
Banned
492 Posts
Curiosity maybe? He's a kid!

I don't like Phil Barone, simply because I know people who have had very bad experiences with his "customer service", and both mouthpieces I tried of his (a 1993 Hollywood Tenor metal, and a 2009 HR Alto model), both looked unfinished and played with un-needed resistance!

That's my opinion.

Best refaced and custom pieces I have played have been Drakes and Tenneys.
Wow!! You are absolutely the first person I have ever heard say they don't like Mr. Barone,... the man. I can understand not being an all out fan for one or two of his mouthpieces,... but "I dont like Phil Barone" is kinda dark-n-chilly! Wouldn't you say? I hope I never see the side of Mr. Barone you describe. More important, I hope I never behave myself in a way that would invite him to show me that side.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just curious, getting a new mouthpiece soon (Eric don't worry, no 4C refacing :) ) so maybe I'll have it refaced. Just want to try to get my gear figured out early so I can focus on more important stuff when I'm older.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone for your answers! I been on the site for about a month and you guys (and girls) just keep getting more and more helpful!

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is Brian Powell the guy who works with CE winds?

·
2,319 Posts
Well, as far as mouthpiece makers,I've had great success with Ponzol mouthpieces. As far as refacers go, I've had two stainless steel Berg Larsen mouthpieces refaced and adjusted by Keith Bradbury, or Mojo, as he is known around here. His turnover time was excellent, and the two mouthpieces play considerably better than they did before I sent them off. His rates are very reasonable as well. I'm considering having him to do one of his Dukoff jobs on a D8 I own.

·
Registered
567 Posts
+1 on Peter Ponzol.

Also the late Ralph Morgan was a favorite.

·
Banned
492 Posts
Just curious, getting a new mouthpiece soon (Eric don't worry, no 4C refacing :) ) so maybe I'll have it refaced. Just want to try to get my gear figured out early so I can focus on more important stuff when I'm older.
I hear ya Tony,... if you do the math of buying a piece that's worthy of a good re-working (refacing is just one of the things these masters can do to a mouthpiece), then adding to it the cost of working the piece, it's prolly more economical to just get a custom piece from jump. Sigmund (Phil Engleman) is another good source,... check out his site: http://www.phil-tone.com/! For the alto, Meyer seems to be the reference and I believe most of his custom pieces are based on the Meyer,... I could be a little off on that, so check behind me. But I've had luck with my Baron NY6M,... shoot wished I had a Barone NY7M. Now that I got a tenor, I wished I had an Otto Link laying around. Everyone says it's the like the popular reference piece in the tenor world like the Meyer is to the alto.

Theres another member in here who doesn't re-work mouthpieces, (I don't think), but he's a wealth of quality information. At least for me and my Dad he was. His SOTW handle is saxoholic! You might wanna look him up when you're getting ready to do your thing.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts