Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found some clips of Gary US Bonds on YouTube. In these from 1989 the Tenor player really rocks! I love his sound. Does anybody know who he is? That sound is one I would love to emulate.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=KG3xrWpeNGU&mode=related&search=

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=28S3B0pgqsY&mode=related&search=

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=zshUXe-PTeQ&mode=related&search=

I guess I will have to keep practicing. I am currently playing Selmer SA80II with Yamaha 4C, Rico Royal 2 1/2 with a Rovner light Lig.

·
SOTW Interviews/Editor, Distinguished SOTW Member,
1,188 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Neil and thanks to Johnny Ferrieira too.

I am 60 and have been playing tenor for 18 months. I grew up with rock'n'roll and Gary US Bonds was a favourite from the early '60's. Although these clips are nearly 20 years old now, it was great to see him performing with such joy and enthusiasm. The band rocks but the tenor player really stands out. I love his sound and it is good to be able to put a name to a face (sound?).

As I said, that is a sound I would love to be able to copy. Thanks again, Cheers!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,147 Posts
Man, what do they do to his sound on the Stones records then? He sounds terrible compared to that...

·
SOTW Columnist/ Forum Contributor 2014, Disti
2,848 Posts
Just out of curiousity I sent an email to Bonds' agent about the identity of the sax player. I then sent an email to Steve;

Subject: Gary Bonds

Hi, just curious if any of you know who the sax player is in the 1989 utube clip?

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=KG3xrWpeNGU&mode=related&search=&v3

He sounds great.

Thanks

John Laughter

John: The sax player in that clip is "Screamin" Steve Barlotta. He currently leads a band in New Jersey called THE SENSATIONAL SOUL CRUISERS. A really good band. I believe their website is sensationalsoulcruisers.com

T
http://www.soulcruisers.com/

Hey Steve, my name is John and I saw a clip on Sax on the Web with Gary U.S. Bonds and an excellent sax player. According to Bonds' agent it was you.

I just wanted to confirm that it was you on the Utube clip and if so what effects system and wireless mic you were using at the time.

Thanks

John Laughter

John,

It is me.
Thanks for the kind words. I use a Shure SM 98, Selmer Mark VI with a Meyer 5* New York mouthpiece. Med LaVoz reeds.
No effects on the horn just a little Reverb to wet it up.
I hope this helps.
Screamin' Steve Barlotta
Sensational Soul Cruisers
8/31/2007

·
Registered
583 Posts
Unbelievable!! THAT'S a Meyer sounding that good? I love mine on alto but never had one sound even close to that on tenor. That just blows my mind.:?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
7,216 Posts
"This Little Girl Is Mine" is reminiscent of W'ere Havin' A Party by Southside Johnny.I'ts great to hear such a big balsy tenor way up in the mix.

·
4,147 Posts
DanF said:
Unbelievable!! THAT'S a Meyer sounding that good? I love mine on alto but never had one sound even close to that on tenor. That just blows my mind.:?

I bet he overblows the crap out of that thing to get that great edge.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,231 Posts
So is it Steve Barlotta or Bobby Keys? Great playing either way.

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
Gary likes Jersey Sax players. He used Joey Stann (from the Jukes) for quite a while, and my buddy Joey Arminio played with him New Years Eve on teh Millenium (and he met Bootman there too!)

This Little Girl was written by Bruce Springsteen who helped Gary out on a couple albums including that one Dedication. (and used many from his E Street Band and the Jukes). Clarence played on that cut on the album.

here's the press kit from the Soul Cruisers page. I've played with Eddie Testa (inspiration for Eddie and the Cruisers, helluva entertainter)
http://www.soulcruisers.com/press.htm

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Somehow John Laughters contribution slipped by me, so here's a belated "thanks John". I Googled Bobby Keys and he has a 'My Space' with loads of pictures. I had my doubts then because the doesn't look like the sax player. But looking at up to date pics of Steve Barlotta, I can see that it is him, and of course he confirms it.

Thanks to everyone for your help and comments.

·
SOTW Columnist/ Forum Contributor 2014, Disti
2,848 Posts
Thanks Honker but it was Martinman who deserves the credit. It was his statement;

Man, what do they do to his sound on the Stones records then? He sounds terrible compared to that..
that got me to thinking so I listened to "Brown Sugar" again and had to question it myself. On my recording Bobby's kickin' solo is faintly there. Who ever was working the sound for the recording that is on Utube did a fine job on balance. Too often the sax solos get lost in the final mix but this one was good.

·
6,862 Posts
Here's another clip that I think illustrates John's point rather nicely

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=_07Xno1SEKo&mode=related&search=

Same great playing, but way less impressive to the listener.

What really impresses me is how relaxed his embouchure seems to be all through his playing--really effortless looking all the time.

Q: would he be growling/humming all through those tunes?

·
4,147 Posts
John Laughter said:
Thanks Honker but it was Martinman who deserves the credit. It was his statement;

that got me to thinking so I listened to "Brown Sugar" again and had to question it myself. On my recording Bobby's kickin' solo is faintly there. Who ever was working the sound for the recording that is on Utube did a fine job on balance. Too often the sax solos get lost in the final mix but this one was good.

Thanks. I kind of did a double-take when you said it was Bobby Keys. Just didn't seem right.

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
rleitch said:

What really impresses me is how relaxed his embouchure seems to be all through his playing--really effortless looking all the time.

Q: would he be growling/humming all through those tunes?
Rory, not exactly sure what you mean by Less impressive.

What impressed me is that he is on his own riser!!, the rest of the band is from Bowswer's band (not sure if its sha na na there ( I doubt it) but Gary brought Steve with him.

he might be growling thru it all.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,231 Posts
rleitch said:
Yeah, I'm wondering what you mean, too. Rory, what do you mean "way less impressive to the listener?" I'm listening and I'm impressed! I like this style.

Actually I don't hear him growling all the way through. On some notes, but not all.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts