Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in the 60s, I listened periodically to a friend's LP. I never caught the name, but it was described as being from an Avant guard player who made a conventional-music album. He was a woodwind player.

I know this is remote, but does this ring a bell with anybody?
Tim - do you remember a conventional 60s album made y an Avant guard woodwind player?

Thanks.

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
481 Posts
John Gilmore did a bunch of recordings with more straight-ahead players also. May be worth looking at his discography.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,811 Posts
Charlie Mariano played with several bands especially in Europe:

Embryo, Supersister

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All good choices but not the one I'm after. Hard question on such general information, I know. Thanks.

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
481 Posts
All good choices but not the one I'm after. Hard question on such general information, I know. Thanks.
Can you narrow it down a bit - tenor or alto or other woodwind, what was the rest of the instrumentation in the band, do you remember any of the titles of the tunes or do even the general type of sound (60s post bop, hard bop, etc.)?

·
Discombobulated SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 201
9,733 Posts
Not much to go on - could even be Coltrane doing Ballads or something, but I doubt if you'd be asking about him.

Anthony Braxton did a bunch of standards albums, but starting in the 70s. He even played on a Brubeck album:

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
He did not, at least to the best of my knowledge, but the memory (in this case the OP) can sometimes play some tricks, but that's why I said it's a long shot. I have fallen into that trap myself many times. All it would take is that the OP's granny sits in front of the TV and says "oh that is so avantgarde" and the kid automatically labels the player as such even if he's not.. But he certainly had conventional albums in the mentioned time frame :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist and Saxophonistic Art
6,260 Posts
Gary...give me more ideas and stuff...I am thinking of a few.

You remember the guy in " The Stooges"....he was a killer free bop player. IM me if you need as I'm in and out more than usual- even hit me on FB. Cool.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,126 Posts
Marty Krystall?

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,811 Posts
He’s... what’s his name? ...What do you call him? I mean... thingy! You know who I mean!?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts