Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I stumbled upon a recording of Rosa Passos today, the song is "Morena boca de ouro" on the album "Letra e musica - Ary Barroso"

I cannot find the name of the alto sax player, does anybody know?

Thanks

Nico

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,331 Posts
Ralph Moore?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Avan, ha!, thx, it could be.... however there is no info confirming this. I just checked Paquito D'rivera recordings from the same period (1997), no mention of his being part of it. It was my first thought as well, but from what I hear Paquito D'rivera has a more open, projecting and rich tone, closer to Phil Woods. This player here has a tighter embouchure, possibly a smaller mouthpiece opening...still no clue

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
Sergio Galvao? Saw his name in the credits to the album posted ...... looked him up on YouTube and he sounds great!

BTW- has Ralph Moore ever recorded on alto? I've only ever heard him on soprano, but I bet he'd sound amazing on alto too!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Dctwells, many thx! I checked the youTube and it sounds very much like the sax who is playing in the original post. Where did you find the credits (tried googling several pages to no avail)?

Nico

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
Hi Dctwells, many thx! I checked the youTube and it sounds very much like the sax who is playing in the original post. Where did you find the credits (tried googling several pages to no avail)?

Nico
Can't remember where I found the recording credit......as I recall it was a blog devoted to Brazilian music and the writer was discussing a soprano by Sergio Galvao on one of the other tracks so I Googled him and put the pieces together. He sounds great .... I came across some vids of him playing tenor that are pretty smoking as well!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.