Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is an outstanding performance. If you are not familiar with Gregory Porter you should be. He is the best jazz singer of his generation IMO.
1st sax solo is at 2:40

·
1,386 Posts
I've been a huge fan of Gregory since his very first album. One of the greatest t voices of all time. I saw him live this past Valentine's day and he was spectacular. I have to say on that video was probably the best performance I've heard from him. Just stunning. I don't know how Sting didn't cry. To have written a beautiful and meaningful song like that and have a great interpretation of it goes beyond. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Definitely not Tivon Pennicott ..... sounds great whoever it is. Thanks for posting that!

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,564 Posts
Yeah, Definitely not Tivon or his regular sax guy before him (Sato)...Man, Gregory has such an amazing voice. Probably a house band hired for that event to supplement the orchestra.

·
3,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
+1 Gregory! Hoping I have the opportunity to see him.

I've been a huge fan of Gregory since his very first album. One of the greatest t voices of all time. I saw him live this past Valentine's day and he was spectacular. I have to say on that video was probably the best performance I've heard from him. Just stunning. I don't know how Sting didn't cry. To have written a beautiful and meaningful song like that and have a great interpretation of it goes beyond. Thanks for sharing.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,968 Posts
If you are not familiar with Gregory Porter you should be. He is the best jazz singer of his generation IMO.
Yeah, I think I started a thread about him some years ago when a group I play with started covering a couple of his tunes (Be Good, Holdin' On). I too don't know who the sax player on that clip is. But if you keep an eye on your local PBS station, they'll show a concert he did every now and again with Penicott on tenor that's well worth watching... despite the inevitable pledge breaks.

·
3,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The little Japanese alto player Gregory uses regularly is absolutely mind boggling and incredible. Don't know the cat's name. He's like a young Japanese version of Charles McPherson.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I just saw his show a few days ago in a beautiful, relatively small, concert hall. It was fantastic. His tickets are quite reasonably price too.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,564 Posts
The little Japanese alto player Gregory uses regularly is absolutely mind boggling and incredible. Don't know the cat's name. He's like a young Japanese version of Charles McPherson.
That’s Yasuke Sato as I mentioned above. Tivon is his regular sax player now.

·
Administrator
17,260 Posts
If you are not familiar with Gregory Porter you should be. He is the best jazz singer of his generation IMO.
I'm normally not that much into singers, but I have to agree with you about Gregory Porter. Saw him last year performing with the Dutch 'Metropole Orkest' at the 2018 North Sea Jazz Festival in Rotterdam and was really impressed.

Here are some links to YouTube clip's of that concert:
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omOKkAf3_As
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYDSavv7QZg

·
3,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
7,355 Posts
I could only afford to go to one thing at Jazz fest this year. It was a hard toss up Between Gregory Porter at the Royal theatre or Eric Alexander at our small jazz club.

I picked Eric, plus he's doing a free workshop so I'd feel bad if I went to the workshop and didn't go to his show.

FWIW it's really cool to see Marius playing more straight ahead. He's an excellent player but I think some of his own works are a little too 'niche' or stylized to be accessible to listen to for a lot of people.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts