Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think this is the right place to post this?

I travel to Colorado frequently so perhaps I could use someone there.
Needs to be the guy that the local heavy players go to not the music store guy that works on your Veto ;)

·
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
...what about the second-best Pro-repair tech ?

No-go on that ?
Ha...Just trying to avoid that guy that said the best Tech was in Montrose Co. If you're in Montrose (unless you're in the witness protection program) you probably do a fine job for the local kids but you wouldn't be in Montrose if you were the choice of the pro's for sax repair.
View attachment 238886

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,832 Posts
Tim Glesman at Sax Alley. Recently had a silver 6M he rebuilt and it was outstanding work.

- Saxaholic

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,929 Posts
+1 for Tim.

I had a TH&C tenor that he overhauled - splendid on all counts.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Mark Santarelli (works at Graner School of Music in Colorado Springs but does his own work as well) is exceptional. Greg Brown is very good too but you may have to wait 6 month to get your horn back.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Tim and Shawna are both excellent and responsible for maintaining most of the horns played by pros and college students in northern Colorado. Sax Alley is also the only shop in the state really worth visiting in terms of new and used horns and mouthpieces as well as reeds and accessories.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Don't forget https://kolacnymusic.com/ I know a lot of jazz players in Denver who swear by them. Nothing against Tim and his shop they have certainly the largest inventory and I myself bought stuff there but there is quite a bit more from Denver all the way to La Junta.

·
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Don't forget https://kolacnymusic.com/ I know a lot of jazz players in Denver who swear by them. Nothing against Tim and his shop they have certainly the largest inventory and I myself bought stuff there but there is quite a bit more from Denver all the way to La Junta.
I used to take my horns to Kolacny when I was going to UCD. I bought my Yamaha baritone from them and it is still my main low A Bari.
Phil Romain overhauled my M6 alto and Saved me a lot of money by doing it in stages. He took pity on a poor student .
Anybody remember the shop on the south end of Broadway? I think it was called pro horn’s? It opened around 82 or 83.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Kolacny and Flesher-Hinton are both pretty good shops though I've had mixed experiences with both. When I lived south of Denver in Englewood I took lessons at each and knew the sax guys at Kolancy (Max and Eric) pretty well. Rich Chiaraluce who's been one of the big name sax-guys in Denver for years gets his work done at Flesher and I'm sure they do a great job for him. The difference IMO is that both those shops do a lot of rental business. Unless things have changed they have most of the school rental business for the Denver area between the two of them. As a result they always have a lot of work, often with short timelines, and you don't know who will end up working on your horn or how good a job they will do. Boomers Music in Fort Collins would be another shop I'd throw into that same mix. I just find that the level of consistency at Sax Alley is superior and fortunately for me it's also very convenient since it's closer to where I now live than most of the other options. If you're just popping into Denver for a couple of days and don't have your own wheels Kolancy and Flesher would be much easier shops to get to by taxi or Uber/Lyft.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts