Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not really sure if it belongs here, but I do a project about Lee Konitz for school, and I need to know the biggest influences on him.
Thanks for helping.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
Warne marsh, lennie tristano...do a search here and on the web.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,386 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,862 Posts
Aside from Lester Young and some other sax players, major influences on Konitz's early career were pianist/arranger Claude Thornhill and guitarist Billy Bauer.

FWIW: I'm not 100% sure, but I think our member altoblues is a bit of an expert on Lee Konitz.

·
Registered
235 Posts
You can't talk about Lee Konitz's influences without Charlie Parker as well. Lennie helped him deal with Bird's influence in a more abstract way than directly cloning, but there's tons of Bird's language in Konitz, or atleast the feeling of Bird. One of my favorite albums features Warne and Lee. Jazz Exchange Vol 1 2 and 3. Sometimes called Live At The Club Montmartre.

Man Lee played some incredible solos. Sound-Lee is one of my favorite solos of all. Vol 2.

To the OP. Cop these albums

Subconscious-Lee (note Warne's stellar solos on Marshmallow and Sound-Lee
Intuition (for a historical footnote)
The Real Lee Konitz (lots of Lee solo clips)
Live At The Half Note (Bill Evans date subbing for Tristano) Band is swingin' This is how Tristano stuff should be played. Dig Palo Alto. Jimmy Garrison.
Motion (look for the verve elite edition) 3 Disks.
Spirits (with Sal Mosca and Ron Carter) Some crazy duos on there
Star Eyes (Duo with Pianist Martial Solal) Could be stated as the beginning of the Lee Konitz we hear now. Lots of duos, loose interpretation of standards etc.
Parallels (With Tenor Saxophonist Mark Turner). Hip.

Just a shortlist.

Honorable mentions. Birth Of The Cool,Crosscurrents (Bill Evan's session, Lee's solo on Eldertown is INSANE), Jazz Exchange Vol 1 2 3. ALL of the last Lee Konitz and Warne Marsh pairings....

The London Concert
Konitz Meets Warne Marsh Again..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPO6Zq_jg1g BUY THIS ALBUM. Play the Arrangements of Jimmy Giuffre Lee at his peak (concerning the Tristano style) Swingin (how could you not with Sonny Dallas?) IMHO.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_IjC5ybD-c

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
A lot of bird in his early playing, I think some Armstrong and Prez as well.

But, Konitz is such a wonderful player because despite coming a lot at a time when many players seemed to be playing in the parker model, he had his own sound and conception together. Most of the players in the Tristano circle (Bauer, Marsh) had very individual voices.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts