Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Couldn't find a thread that was like this in search, so I apologize if there already was one.

Title says it all. Who here plays on unusually large OR small tip openings – compared to the average – for your horn(s)? Use your own good judgement to decide if you think you do.

Also, what brand & strength reed do you play on them?

For example, I play Plasticover 3's on two .110" alto mouthpieces... a tip opening which some people don't even play on tenor. Used to play on a .120" (actual tip) Berg HR alto, which was a fantastic, monster mouthpiece. I kinda regret selling it now...

Conversely, One of my friends plays ZZ 3's on a roughly .90" Wilkerson tenor mouthpiece. Sounds really good, though.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,998 Posts
On one of my tenors I use a high baffled RPC that measures .134" and I suppose that's near the extreme end. I knew from the moment I blew it that it was for me and it didn't take long to adapt to it. I didn't want to change reed strength though, and still play 3's; now Javas.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I used by years several tip numbers and several mpcs, but now I use a Rico Royal C7!!!! It´s incredible but this piece can do the work in the best way in comparison to Brilhart, Guardala, Otto Link slant sig....but I choose this one!!!

·
Banned
297 Posts
I play a vandoern T10 hr on a mauriat 66r tenor with Alexander DC 3.5. However lately, I am curious about two pieces that I have not been able to try an RPC 135 and good link tone master.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts