Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I normally don't post in this subforum because I'm a self-taught hack who doesn't qualify to be giving or asking for tech advice. That bit aside.....

I'll vote myself the world's most disorganized excuse for a repairer of any level. Actually, it's much nicer when I'm not doing anything. This is a sample of suspended entropy after a day of mangling another horn.... I am terminally unable to put things back into their "place" ....

·
Forum Contributor 2010-2016
1,708 Posts
I'm currently dismantling my motor bike (1980 Kawasaki Z250B twin) and although I'm TRYING to stay organised there is more of your style of workbench in my garage than any of the techs who post here.

While my excuse might be the the dirtiness of engines in general I look with envy at the aviation engineering workshop at my gliding club - painted floor, oil spills cleaned immediately, beautiful uncluttered benches, tool shadow boards, jigs for holding and turning engines, spare parts in a separate locked storeroom etc etc.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
19,000 Posts
Well...that's a prety good 'un, there.

...my stuff is equally, chaotically divided between the kitchen, dining room, and basement....so, technically...I cannot use the singular of "workbench"...

....so I guess I recuse myself...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
4,702 Posts
First let me say windmill, you win hands down, no comp.

Howevere I just came into the workshop for the start of the working week, this is how I left my workbench on friday.

Now wheres the key for that one, and what about the rod for that. Mmmmm

Attachments

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm currently dismantling my motor bike (1980 Kawasaki Z250B twin) and although I'm TRYING to stay organised there is more of your style of workbench in my garage than any of the techs who post here.

While my excuse might be the the dirtiness of engines in general I look with envy at the aviation engineering workshop at my gliding club - painted floor, oil spills cleaned immediately, beautiful uncluttered benches, tool shadow boards, jigs for holding and turning engines, spare parts in a separate locked storeroom etc etc.
Yeah, one big part of my problem is, same workspace gets used for maybe four different projects at once.... woodworking, day-job office work, horn torture & autopsies, car suspension rebuilds... Looks like I'm a "winner." I can't keep stuff in "place" but for some reason my hand reaches straight for whatever whenever I need it. I don't use the workbench at all for holding horns; my lap is for that. All the workbench does is play "shelf." Probably I'll get rid of it eventually and just line the wall with shelves; that should cure me.

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmm, seems I've forgotten how to do multi-quotes...

JBT, I saw a pic of yours around here somewhere. Spotless.
Jaysf, you have a chance to declare a larger "home office" on your tax return.
Simso, I think I could still throw a dinner part on that one.

Okay, I thought... hoped... maybe I was still within "normal" but, looks not. Time to go shelf hunting.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Champion of the C-Me
2,058 Posts
Wind_Mill - you've given me hope, I thought I was cluttered... Now I feel free as the wind !

I might have believed it was April 1st, except that I can see some kind of bell (rising like a pheonix...) and even a sax case.

I have just the book for you - it's called "Clear your Clutter with Feng Shui" - ISBN 0-7499-1824-1

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,410 Posts
Thought I would win hands down----till I saw Wind_Mills bench!! the wife wont step over --she holds a cup of tea at arms length through the open door! lucky me.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,544 Posts
Your wife brings you tea into your shop!!! My wife leaves dirty garden tools in mine...

·
Registered
271 Posts
For me it changes from neat as a pin to OMG! Depends on the time of year and time of day. But I only let it go so far, then I can't take it anymore and spend the time to put everything in it's place and clean it up!

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I thought so...... feeling better about it now, I guess, knowing that no matter how nicely I try to clean up, it will get back into that cluttered state soon enough. I guess I should clean it up soon, take and post another pic, lie and say I'm cured.

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: Found him!

Ha, Pete, I'm Wally... that was me in the cup, thanks for finding me!

I've managed to clear things away a bit. This is how it typically looks these days ....

1 - 20 of 27 Posts