• Joe Henderson

Votes: 11 8.8%
  • Gato Barbieri

Votes: 3 2.4%
41 - 60 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
So it has been one week that this question is there, and every time I read it, this comes to my mind:

''Giotto, Van Eyck, Da Vinci, Michelangelo, Rafaello, El Greco, Rembrandt, Vermeer, Rubens, Turner, Van Dyck, Caravage, Watteau, Fragonard, Ingres, Blake, Turner, David, Delacroix, Goya, Monet, Renoir, Cezanne, Degas, Pissarro, Manet, Cazin, Carpentier, Van de Velde, Gauguin, Kandinsky, Matisse, Klee, Picasso, Corot, Legros, Levitan, Courbet, Henri, Bellows, De Groux, Klimt, Kupka, Whistler, Mondrian, Miro, Braque, Leger, Chagall, Vlaminck, ...

Which one used the best colors ?''

And every time, the answer (to both questions) that comes to my mind is : 42.
+1 Did you know that 42 is the ASCII code for * ?

·
Premium Member
18,616 Posts
So it has been one week that this question is there, and every time I read it, this comes to my mind:

''Giotto, Van Eyck, Da Vinci, Michelangelo, Rafaello, El Greco, Rembrandt, Vermeer, Rubens, Turner, Van Dyck, Caravage, Watteau, Fragonard, Ingres, Blake, Turner, David, Delacroix, Goya, Monet, Renoir, Cezanne, Degas, Pissarro, Manet, Cazin, Carpentier, Van de Velde, Gauguin, Kandinsky, Matisse, Klee, Picasso, Corot, Legros, Levitan, Courbet, Henri, Bellows, De Groux, Klimt, Kupka, Whistler, Mondrian, Miro, Braque, Leger, Chagall, Vlaminck, ...

Which one used the best colors ?''

And every time, the answer (to both questions) that comes to my mind is : 42.
Joannis Vermeer! :)

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,688 Posts
OK. For my money, among living players, Eric Alexander hands down.
+1. Even though I don't really think there is a "best," given the wide range of what I'd consider a great tone, I have an Eric Alexander CD in my car disk player and every time I listen to it, I'm highly impressed with his tone quality. On ballads I even hear a bit of a "Dexter Gordon tone," and I've rarely heard anyone with a tone like Dexter.

I refuse to vote in that poll because as I say, there is no "best" tone, even among those 10 players, but I'm tempted to pick Stanley Turrentine, since he's not getting enough votes, imo! Let me put it this way, since I can't say anyone has the best tone, no one has a better tone than Turrentine.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
8,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
<...snip...>
I refuse to vote in that poll because as I say, there is no "best" tone, <...>
Exactly the point I was trying to make. So many people on this thread think tone is the most important thing about sax playing, and I suspect it's the least important thing.

And I agree Turrentine should have gotten more votes.

Insights and incites by Notes

·
Registered
MKVI Alto Berg-95/0
483 Posts
Had they played Alto..... we’d be talking.... who had/has GREAT TONE. :argue3:
It’s just that simple!!! :popcorn:

·
Registered
MKVI Alto Berg-95/0
483 Posts
Exactly the point I was trying to make. So many people on this thread think tone is the most important thing about sax playing, and I suspect it's the least important thing.
Insights and incites by Notes
As long as your tone conveys the tale you're telling.... without ear aches.... rock on.
Gato, most often, is my least liked ...but it's strictly... tune related.
A tune not favored.... cane mutiny lite. :bluewink:

ADAGIO ..... mi piace la salsa sulla pasta.

·
Registered
740 Posts
... Let me put it this way, since I can't say anyone has the best tone, no one has a better tone than Turrentine.
+1

·
8,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
I listen to what they have to say, more than tone. It's a package deal.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,688 Posts
No Wayne Shorter in this poll??
I love Wayne Shorter's tone/sound on tenor in the 'Blue Note' era. And I call it his tone/sound because he's a perfect example of the 'package deal' that Notes refers to. A huge part of Wayne's tone quality is the way he bends and 'shapes' the sound, milking each note for all it's worth, in addition to his unique harmonic concept (can I call it that?) and note choice. Anyone who doubts the beauty in his sound should just listen to "Infant Eyes," in addition to the other tracks on the "Speak No Evil" recording. Unlike a lot of recordings, I can listen to that one over and over and never get tired of it (it would be definitely one of my 'desert island' choices).

·
Banned
652 Posts
Those are the only choices? Not fair. I'd vote for Sydney Bechet, with that vibrato you could saw trees with. My second choice would be King Curtis, that guy can say it in three notes!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
7,922 Posts
Joe Henderson hands down.
Not on your list: Eddie Harris, Steve Lacy, Gary Thomas, Jan Garbarek. Here's a nice video of Eddie solo (on a VII)

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Exactly, and Wayne always wanted to explore his sound even though Trane was his biggest influence, obviously. Many years back I had debates with a friend and we'd end up with Wayne being the giant that did Trane's legacy justice. Joe Henderson may have been my second choice and at times, I preferred him over Wayne's phrasing at times but it was Shorter's sound that always clinched it. Notes and you are spot on about that, and may I add to that, he did the same thing with his soprano playing, too.

I love Wayne Shorter's tone/sound on tenor in the 'Blue Note' era. And I put call it his tone/sound because he's a perfect example of the 'package deal' that Notes refers to. A huge part of Wayne's tone quality is the way he bends and 'shapes' the sound, milking each note for all it's worth, in addition to his unique harmonic concept (can I call it that?) and note choice. Anyone who doubts the beauty in his sound should just listen to "Infant Eyes," in addition to the other tracks on the "Speak No Evil" recording. Unlike a lot of recordings, I can listen to that one over and over and never get tired of it (it would be definitely one of my 'desert island' choices).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,275 Posts
There are so many great players in all genres that you can't even say 'Okay, who has the best tone in R&R?' because there were about a dozen great players in the R&R era, all with unique sounds and styles. So now the question of which sax player of all time/all genres has the best sound/tone simply becomes a popularity contest.

·
4,861 Posts
There are so many great players in all genres that you can't even say 'Okay, who has the best tone in R&R?' because there were about a dozen great players in the R&R era, all with unique sounds and styles. So now the question of which sax player of all time/all genres has the best sound/tone simply becomes a popularity contest.
It could also just open the door to members here sharing who they really love to listen to and why. That's a positive .

41 - 60 of 81 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.