Votes: 11 8.8%
  • Gato Barbieri

Votes: 3 2.4%
21 - 40 of 81 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
8,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I found a list of the 10 most famous tenor players, and used it in the poll. If I chose myself, it would have been biased by my tastes.

Me? I like Getz best some days and Turrentine others, depending on my mood.

But what I think is that there is no one best tone. So whenever people talk about best tone, it simply means their favorite. And there is nothing wrong with that.

Notes

·
Registered
156 Posts
I voted for Coltrane, not because I always find his tone appealing, but I do always find it affecting and moving, which is what it’s all about I guess

I also love Ernie Watts; Charles Lloyd; Joshua Redman; and most of all...Pharaoh Sanders for the same reason.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-17
2,092 Posts
Yes. Cuber is a great player, but I don't go for his tone much. I had Hamiet Bluiett in, then took him out for some reason. I forgot Mulligan, also the great Leo Parker. And then there's Lars Gullin…. And Clarence Ford…
The list goes on and on...but I really like Cuber. He sounds like a tenor player with too much testosterone. I like him in an R&B context. All the time, in other words.

Leo Parker too, and lately Paul Nedzela.

·
Registered
252 Posts
As an alto player I'm offended the superior horn is left out, which leads to Stitt being left out since across horns he was the master to me. Plas Johnson as well...

I digress.

For tenor it's a close call for me between Joe Hen and Newk.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I got a few who I like.

Trane
Dex
Booker Ervin
Yusef Lateef
Newk
Eddie Lockjaw Davis
Gene Ammons
Teddy Edwards
Clifford Jordan
James Carter

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
8,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Quite a few great additions to the list. Too bad I couldn't have put 50 in the poll and asked y'all first. You mentioned some I haven't listened to in years, so I'm going to have to go through the old LP collection and dig out a few relics I never digitized.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,780 Posts
Quite a few great additions to the list. Too bad I couldn't have put 50 in the poll and asked y'all first.
This should add to the fun. https://digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_jazz/best_sax.html
The Rock players only https://digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_rock-saxophonists.html

You mentioned some I haven't listened to in years, so I'm going to have to go through the old LP collection and dig out a few relics I never digitized.
Don't get lost looking over this list. I'm sure to say you'll find one or two oldies.
https://digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/music0.html

·
Registered
348 Posts
Hm. This post actually woke me up from a multi-year nap. Not going to vote on the poll, but I have a reply to the question.

- Who has the best tone?

- For what?

Context is everything.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,780 Posts
Hm. This post actually woke me up from a multi-year nap. Not going to vote on the poll, but I have a reply to the question.

- Who has the best tone?

- For what?

Context is everything.
That's the beauty of this thread. Pick a tenor player that YOU like the tone:)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Not on the list, but one of my favorites worth hearing for his exceptionally nice tenor tone (not to mention his excellent blues playing) is Frank Haynes. Died young.
These are from "Green Blues" (Grant Green), also issued as "Reaching Out" (Dave Bailey).

·
Registered
1,685 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
So it has been one week that this question is there, and every time I read it, this comes to my mind:

''Giotto, Van Eyck, Da Vinci, Michelangelo, Rafaello, El Greco, Rembrandt, Vermeer, Rubens, Turner, Van Dyck, Caravage, Watteau, Fragonard, Ingres, Blake, Turner, David, Delacroix, Goya, Monet, Renoir, Cezanne, Degas, Pissarro, Manet, Cazin, Carpentier, Van de Velde, Gauguin, Kandinsky, Matisse, Klee, Picasso, Corot, Legros, Levitan, Courbet, Henri, Bellows, De Groux, Klimt, Kupka, Whistler, Mondrian, Miro, Braque, Leger, Chagall, Vlaminck, ...

Which one used the best colors ?''

And every time, the answer (to both questions) that comes to my mind is : 42.

21 - 40 of 81 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.