Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anybody who uses these can pm me the dimensions of the blow hole measured with calipers.I need these measurements.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
I have one but the batteries in my calipers are dead so it may take a few days for me to get around to it if nobody else can do it sooner. I'm not really sure what measurement(s) you want. All you can get with calipers is basic length and width and not even to a particularly high level of accuracy. I believe the dimensions that really make that blow hole play the way it does are not easily measured with calipers. The riser height, wall angle, blowhole shape, etc. have a lot to do with the resistance, response, and sound. Maybe I'm missing something?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,033 Posts
The main thrust of the EC is not really the size of the hole as it is the riser being a bit higher and the curve of the front of the lip.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
The EC measured 10.03 x 12.00mm. Getting an accurate diagonal without scratching the crap out of my headjoint wasn't possible. FWIW, my student model Yamaha and Muramatsu GXIII were almost exactly the same at within a fraction of a mm of 10x12mm.

It appears to me, just looking at the holes with the naked eye, that they aren't perfect ovals either. The side closest to the crown is flatter or "more square" than the flute body side which appears more elongated to me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts