Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/ Forum Contributor 2011
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used the search button and found a lot of chatter, but very little definitive info after reading about 10 threads.

If you have found a great-fitting shaped case for around-town use (not checking on airplanes or throwing under the tour bus). Please let me know. So far it appears:

Yes:
Bam Trekking
Walt Johnson (Keilwerth version)​

Maybe:
Gator
Hiscox​

No:
SKB
Winter​

Unknown:
Berkely​

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
1,521 Posts
Pro-Tec

Works great on my JK Tenor . It was also the best price (a few years ago) .

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
3,383 Posts
The Berkeley being spoken of is a "king size" model as opposed to the regular model you typically see.

The Gator GL will almost surely work (it fits my Buescher 400 TH&C, so it'll fit ANYTHING), but its bell lip protection is less than stellar (which doesn't stop me). And it's under a $100 at musiciansfriend.com

If I wasn't so cheap and impatient, I'd go for the WJ.

Also, I believe that Hurling Frootmig said he uses an pro-tec rectangular case with his 400 (but the contoured SKB/SKB Pro/contoured pro-tec does NOT fit), so that's another one to consider.

Pete

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I use WJs for my Couf and Keilwerth. Very protective but they are heavy and are also limited in space for storage. Since I also have a gig bag for all my other junk then it's not a problem.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
These are the cases I've used with my JK tenor.

I prefer a Johnson (made for JKs) over all of them but don't use one because of its weight. IMO it's the most protective of cases that JKs fit into. A little bit of inner storage room.

I put Berkeleys next in protectivity and first in appearance. No inner storage. Must be made specifically for JK, which are hard to find. Although I have not used a Berkeley for my JK, I am mentioning it here because I've used Berkeleys on my alto and other tenors, am familiar with them, and would be using one as my case-of-choice if I could find one that is made for a JK. If you can get the colour and style of you choice, IMO very hip looking (in a flashy sort of way).

Third in protectivity, tied w/Berkeleys for appearance is the VGV (formerly sold as Barone in the US), which is Italian. No inner room, covering is made of stitched Italian leather. Somewhat elegant in appearance, like Italian leather shoes. This is what I am presently using because of its portability and compactness.

Last would be the Gator GL a distant fourth in protectivity. The Gator has about the same inner room as the WJ, more than the others, with the added feature (if you like them -I don't) of outside pockets, like a ProTech. In most ways it's a ProTech copy but a little less protective and much lighter than any other cases. Empty, you can easily hold it with your little finger. Something to be said if you're carrying more than just the tenor.

There's something to be said about the aluminium-looking case. It has a lot of inner storage and is probably as protective as the ProTechs and more so than the Gator. It's made for a JK although, strangely, the neck compartment is not formed very well. I don't usually use it because it's better when I have cases I can carry vertically, and I'm not tall enough to carry this case by its end, and also because of its bulk, when I've got to carry several horns and bags of equipment simultaneously.

·
1,521 Posts
One thing nice about the Protec Pro-Pac is the two pockets .
One is thin and holds straps and reeds the other is bigger and has some nice little purse like features like a little area for keys in a mesh with small zipper , also a place for business cards and a few little side storage areas .

I checked the price and they seem to be around $120 . Not to expensive but they have gone up quite a bit . They used to be around $60 (I think) .

·
Registered
176 Posts
awholley- check your PM's.

john

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
SKB is great

Why did you say "no" to the SKB cases?

I have a stock SKB flight case and my JK SX90R fits perfectly. Its ultra-lightweight and being a hard-shell case, it offers *excellent* protection.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts

·
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Giganova said:
Why did you say "no" to the SKB cases?

I have a stock SKB flight case and my JK SX90R fits perfectly. Its ultra-lightweight and being a hard-shell case, it offers *excellent* protection.
Somewhere else in my research on SOTW, I'm pretty sure I read the fit was "not even close". If it works for you, perhaps I'll check it out. I have a friend who has one.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
3,383 Posts
I tried my Buescher 400 recently on a skb-pro case like THIS ONE.

That most certainly wasn't even close, by over an inch. I thought the Keilwerths were similar in size, but maybe not.

Pete

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
My JK SX90R fits perfectly into my SKB case. What I like about the SKB cases is (apart from being inexpensive) that they have a small footprint. Never had a problem bringing this case onboard flights accross the US or to Europe.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Giganova said:
Does anyone have the GIG tenor sax case? Way cheap at WWBW at the moment ($79.95)
I know someone who has one of those for trumpet. It doesn't seem like it would offer any real protection.

·
1,521 Posts
I use a GIG for my cheap-o Vespro soprano and it's great but I wouldn't go that route with tenor especially since their tenor case also works on trombone !!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
709 Posts
For gigging in a safe environment I like the contoured Winter case, which is designed specifically for SX90s and thus provides a glove-like fit. It's distinctive looking, it's incredibly light, and it has the required space for neck, mouthpiece, and a bit of other stuff. However, I use an extra strap to supplement the closures--and I don't let it out of my sight--when it contains my SX90R. It's not all as protective as, say, a WJ or a Hiscox.

·
Registered
205 Posts
In case someone was going to try the DEG Universal Tenor case from WWBW it does not work well. The Keilwerth is longer than some vintage saxes. However the 10M fits in the DEG case very well as it has padding to support saxes with LHBKs.

·
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I've pretty much given up my search for king size Berkeleys, the regular WJ are too expensive for my budget, and I tried a Barone, but didn't like the fit/tolerances and especially didn't like the price. Lack of room seems to be a real issue for the Berkeleys, Barone/VGV and SKB. I prefer to be able to pick up my sax an know that everything I need to play is right there in the case.
Also, I know there are a lot of people who don't like zippered cases, but I am the opposite. I just don't trust a couple of latches to stay latched while the sax is over my shoulder, so I'd end up spending even more bucks on a zippered case cover.

For me, it pretty much came down to Hiscox or Gator, and I decided to go for the Gators. I've ordered two Gator GLs for my Keilwerths after reading a previous thread

http://www.saxontheweb.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=18454

which should work for my minimal/moderate protection needs.

If I don't like them when they arrive from wwbw, I'll return them and try Hiscox, which I was told by an owner WILL fit, as long as you are willing to pre-compress the parts that are a bit tight. (He used pressure from a ball peen hammer to compress -not hammer- the foam in the case where it contacted the Eb guard and the RH thumb rest.)

Alan

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Alan, the info on the JK/Hiscox fit is so inconsistant, if you do get a Hiscox would you post your findingsß Thanks. Gary

It goes without saying, that if I ever find a decent solution, I'll do the same. Surely we're not the only two guys in this situation.

·
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here's what I did find out. Since I didn't ask permission to quote this person, I have removed their name.

awholley said:
Sorry for the PM..

I found a posting by you from October regarding Hiscox cases working with Keilwerth alto and tenor. Is it a pretty "clean" fit? I can't seem to get a good answer on what is a good shaped case for my new SX-90s.

Thanks in advance for any insights.

Alan
a_benevolent_SOTW_member said:
The fit was very good for the basic shape of the horn (Bell, bow and length). There was a slight interference from the Eb keyguard and the straphook. I simply used a large diameter ballpeen hammer to press the underlying styrofoam into shape to fit in the offending areas (didn't even tear the velour in the process) and the horn is now a perfectly snug fit; better than any factory case (which are all too loose IMHO). The bell cut it's own 'groove' the first time that I placed the horn solidly. To insert the horn, I lay down the body in position and then gently press the bell in (i.e. rotating the body into place). After doing this 2-3 times the fit was perfect...no significant force was ever applied to the horn. I have carried both my alto and tenor in these cases for several years, and they have maintained regulation perfectly.

I can easily see how someone would judge that they don't fit, but very slight adjustment made it work perfectly. Both my Conn DJH and Modell Ponzol fit perfectly, as well as one SX90 that I tried when it was in the shop for a PC...

1 - 20 of 69 Posts