Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I must say that years ago I did a lot of MPC-Ex. After I could play a range of an octave and a third or so I stopped, as I considered it as: Once you can do it, it is ok.
Then I had the idea to take my alto MPC with me on my Easter Holidays in Slovenia.
I played about 20 minutes every day, scales, intervals (I use Karajan on my Iphone, a very good Ear Training program) and tried to match.
I did decrescendos and crescendos, major and minor chords and so on.
And: I must say that my tone has improved, and I don't have the feeling of having been so long away from my saxes, if you know what I mean. Embouchure and so on :mrgreen:
So: Who does this crazy stuff daily?
Greetings,
Mugger

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This might sound like a hiperbole, but I practice about an hour of just mouthpiece exercises before playing my horn. Always. It's so annoying and fellow musicians think you're crazy, but I haven't found anything better to help my tone besides harmonics/overtones.
Hi,
Could you specify what exactly you are practicing?
Thanks

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I do about 10-15 mins at the beginning of all my practices. In part, it's an easy way to gradually break in new reeds.

I'd love to hear that octave plus a third! Can you do that on a tenor mouthpiece--can you do it without biting?
Hi,
I think it is harder to improve going down. I cannot go up much more than my students can, whether with a very tight embouchure or not. I think that up there is a very small headroom.
Greetings

1 - 3 of 3 Posts