Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
I did my gold-plating from Horn improvement, and they did a great job. of course, dont forget that if you do a gold-plating, you'd have to ahve the horn overhauled which means goldplating 1.2 grand?? and the overhaul 600-800 bucks for a really really good one.. think about that.. 2 thousand dollars for it. Is it worth it for you? I thoguht my horn played great and the sound got much richer and everyone who played it loved it ( it was a VI) you can find hornimprovemt info by searching it online!

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
1,404 Posts
I agree, take it to HornImprovement or some other great shop. There are a lot of decisions that need to be made along the way before and after the horn goes to the plater. You want someone smart and experienced making those decisions.

The worst thing is when a horn gets plated or lacquered without the proper prep work. Sometimes it ruins a horn for a good. At least it makes future repairs a real headache, forcing the repairer to choose between a cosmetics and mechanics. It's always best to have the Mechanics perfected before the cosmetics!

Most guys are using Anderson for their plating. No matter where you take it, Anderson will likely do the work. The question is who will do the prep.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The horn is actually unlacquered. It came originally bare brass. Its in great shape. I like the way its setup.

Does anyone have any pictures or know of a link with some pics of a rose gold plated horn, and not those cheap Asian ones. I have a rose gold ring that has a beautiful hue. I think a horn would look great with it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2011
774 Posts
How 'bout this one?

From The Allegro Music, Oxford site.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I've never heard of or seen a "rose-gold plated" instrument, but I'm not a plater or metallurgist.

In the brass instrument world, "rose" or "red" brass merely is a brass alloy which has a much higher copper content than typical yellow brass. It's copper content will determine how "red/pink" it looks compared to typical raw brass or gold plating. There is also the option of having it copper plated, which is a pre-requisite for silver plating.

If you have a "rose-gold" ring, it is not plating but the entire ring content is higher in copper, which give it that red/pink appearance. It is nice though I'll admit. Here is another link to a high copper-content alloy saxophone; http://www.lasaxophones.com/saxgourmet.htm

You might try contacting www.andersonsilverplating.com, and see if they can actually plate an instrument with "rose-gold".

·
Forum Contributor 2007-2012, Distinguished SOTW Te
3,314 Posts
Anderson does not do rose gold, and I am not sure who will.

Rose gold plating is merely gold with copper in it. Still looks beautiful though!

I have a rose gold plated Conn Chu alto for sale on my site. I have seen another rose gold Chu, but it was a tenor. I don't think there are many of them.

I need to take some more pictures on a cloudy day for a more diffuse light and against a better backdrop once I finish overhauling it, but here is a couple of pictures of my Chu alto in the meantime:

·
Mouthpiece Refacer Extraordinaire and Forum Contri
3,406 Posts
Gorgeous, Matt!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts