Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
Joined
·
27,650 Posts
Not bad, actually. It's from the German TV show "Ohne Filter" (unfiltered). I noticed the G'ster plays his tenor a little to the side of his mouth also, so I guess the thing with his soprano isn't an affectation.

And Kenny - I luuuuvs yo smoooothe arms. :twisted:

p.s. stick to tenor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,326 Posts
Aw, I feel sick now. This sort of thing should come with a public health warning. Is there a show called Mit Filter to protect the innocent? Oh, and where was the improv?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
JimD said:
Aw, I feel sick now. This sort of thing should come with a public health warning. Is there a show called Mit Filter to protect the innocent? Oh, and where was the improv?
haha.. they should have put a warning "Viewer discretion strongly advised" like they do to all Kenny G videos. Even though it's hard to tell, he did improvise. He played like 5 notes really fast, like he always does, and then called it a night.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,326 Posts
Yup, that's the way to do it. Say what you gotta say and get off. Don't go spraying around any unnecessary notes.
 

·
Distinguished Member and Forum Contributor 2008
Joined
·
6,395 Posts
I've always been able to tolerate SOME of his tenor playing. It's a shame he deveoloped that love affair with that straight thingy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
393 Posts
JazzItUp said:
haha.. they should have put a warning "Viewer discretion strongly advised" like they do to all Kenny G videos. Even though it's hard to tell, he did improvise. He played like 5 notes really fast, like he always does, and then called it a night.
I totally do not understand a post like this or the post by Jim D. The guy really played, a lot of energy and super smooth into altissimo. He is TALENTED. Even Gary said "not too bad", which is a compliment coming from him. Why all of the senseless bashing, not criticism, bashing. It's ok to criticize a persons playing, but unless you can "blow him off the stage", bashing is inappropriate. C'mon guys, we should be above this.
George
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mactenor said:
I totally do not understand a post like this or the post by Jim D. The guy really played, a lot of energy and super smooth into altissimo. He is TALENTED. Even Gary said "not too bad", which is a compliment coming from him. Why all of the senseless bashing, not criticism, bashing. It's ok to criticize a persons playing, but unless you can "blow him off the stage", bashing is inappropriate. C'mon guys, we should be above this.
George
I'm not bashing Kenny G at all. I like that video as you can see in my first post, but the improv he did was weak. Some people would kill to get that Tenor sound he has!

Just wondering... does he play the Alto as well?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,326 Posts
Jazzitup certainly wasn't criticising the G man, only me. I'm sorry if it upset you, I try to avoid commenting on Kenny G but to me that was an appalling piece of over-processed pap. Talented? Maybe, but to my eyes and ears that was drivel. It wasn't bashing, it wasn't serious criticism, it was an immediate response.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
268 Posts
mycroftgsb said:
This is the reason I had to get off SOTW for awhile. As a newbie, I was initially excited to find this site as I was looking for all the info I could get.
Heh, the trick is: this is the best place for information. Just as in all media outlets you have to develop the ability to see past the human nature coming out of people and get the information you need. You will find no place that is not tainted by pride, just varying degrees of it defined by the moderators of the boards. People are naturally prideful when they're born, and it shows. :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,831 Posts
Your right, I am jealous of Kenny G... :(

Not really...I'm glad hes famous and has all that money good for him, but most of his music isn't exactly what me or many other jazz musicians like...I heard hes the biggest joke at UNT hehe...but like I said, I'd rather listen to Boney James play over him :)

And I don't see much snobbery about what kind of horn someone plays on...maybe I'm blind lol. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
CountSpatula said:
Your right, I am jealous of Kenny G... :(

Not really...I'm glad hes famous and has all that money good for him, but most of his music isn't exactly what me or many other jazz musicians like...I heard hes the biggest joke at UNT hehe...but like I said, I'd rather listen to Boney James play over him :)

And I don't see much snobbery about what kind of horn someone plays on...maybe I'm blind lol. :D
I agree. It's not so much the money he makes, it's the music he is playing. I don't care if he's some homeless guy under the bridge, if the guy is playing great music I'll buy his cd. I think people hate Kenny G because of the music he plays, and maybe the jeaslousy comes because he makes so much money playing predictable melody statements & such. I said maybe! This may sound weird but I like his Soprano sound!

But you should check this guy out here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=By1GW2TTa1A Tell me what you think of him!! He's a Brazilian native like myself! Reminds me of Kenny G's sound somewhat...
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
Joined
·
3,875 Posts
I'm jealous of Kenny G's Power Bars. I hear that they are made of gold and can crack the skulls of little girls when you throw them.
 
1 - 20 of 83 Posts
Top