Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
vi tenor/alto, yss-62 soprano, the martin baritone, muramatsu flute, R13 clarinet
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
American Perfection.
Martin? Conn? Something else?
Let the good times roll!

Attachments

·
Registered
vi tenor/alto, yss-62 soprano, the martin baritone, muramatsu flute, R13 clarinet
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
“Scored” I suppose, but I like to look at it more as a rescue operation. And adding one point to players tally instead of flippers. I’ll pay top-dollar to get it overhauled and make sure she gets back into service where she belongs..!

Serial stamp reads:
B
W4771
L

Attachments

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Regarding playability, GREAT! If all of your playing consists of B to G, of course.

She badly needs to be rebuilt. I can force the low end but only barely able to coax it out.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd guess very old Conn before drawn tone holes. The fork Eb tone hole on the lower stack was only ever used by Conn and a few Martins, as far as I know.
I don’t see a fork Eb tone hole?

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
The Mercedes star key guard in the 4th picture also says Conn. And it appears to still have the dual octave mechanism (though I can't tell for sure from the picture) so I'd put it before 1912ish. And the serial number / model number with the "B" was Conn's designation for the different models, I don't know that anybody else used this.

·
Registered
Cannonball Vintage Reborn Tenor Sax with Cannonball 5J hr (Meyer clone produced by JJ Babbitt))
743 Posts
"American Perfection" is a Martin stencil. Should be a great horn.

·
Distinguished Member
1,674 Posts
"American Perfection" is a Martin stencil. Should be a great horn.
Though Martin didn't make basses did they? I could imagine it might be a Conn stencil for a Martin Stencil... Or how should I say that?

So Rick is your plan to get it up and playing for yourself or get it in good playing for.... someone else...?

If you're planning on selling it at some point I could be interested. (was that so hard to say?)

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The Mercedes star key guard in the 4th picture also says Conn. And it appears to still have the dual octave mechanism (though I can't tell for sure from the picture) so I'd put it before 1912ish. And the serial number / model number with the "B" was Conn's designation for the different models, I don't know that anybody else used this.
Two octave pips like usual, only one octave key. Cheers!

·
Registered
8,840 Posts
I don’t see a fork Eb tone hole?
It's the lowest tone hole on the lower main stack. It's right across from the Eb tone hole opened by the RH little finger. As far as I know, only Conn, the King Zephyr bari, and a few Martin saxes ever had the fork Eb on the main stack like that. The others (Buescher fer sure, the other major maker of basses) had it round back.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's the lowest tone hole on the lower main stack. It's right across from the Eb tone hole opened by the RH little finger. As far as I know, only Conn, the King Zephyr bari, and a few Martin saxes ever had the fork Eb on the main stack like that. The others (Buescher fer sure, the other major maker of basses) had it round back.
Do you see it in my picture? I only see the normal Eb tone hole, not the smaller Fork Eb. Also, the fork Eb fingering doesn’t seem to operate anything.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Do you see it in my picture? I only see the normal Eb tone hole, not the smaller Fork Eb. Also, the fork Eb fingering doesn’t seem to operate anything.
Correction: the fork fingering plays Eb..! Yeah, it’s on the main stack. New to me..! Cool!

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So it’s definitely not a Buescher…

Conn or Martin? I read that the mercedes keyguard is not 100% exclusive to Conn. I also read that American Perfection is a Martin stencil, so.. hmm!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts