Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm searching for a white lacquer tenor.

I know there's a Selmer SA80 Series II, and a Cannonball that has been discontinued, that were made in white, but in general it seems to be a very rare color.

Is that because the number of coats makes the horn super dark? Is there anything else I should know about why they're rare? Does anyone have experience with this? I need it for some upcoming TV work, but if it's just a dud I'll take another path.

Thanks so much!

Best,
Max

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
There was a white Yamaha Custom EX 875, but not currently being made. 50th Anniversary model, I believe.

Edit: Just learned there were apparently only 50 of these made, so maybe not the easiest used sax to find . . . .

View attachment 182914

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
A white lacquer Cannonball is still shown on the company's website (Big Bell Stone Series). You're saying that's been discontinued?

Yamaha made a limited edition YAS-875EXW, but I don't know if there were any white tenors.

LA Sax used to make white horns in the brand's wilder days.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
7,216 Posts

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,123 Posts
Is that because the number of coats makes the horn super dark?
No, I'm quite certain the coat(s) of white lacquer won't have any noticeable effect on the tone.

But yeah, I have to say that white tenor in the clip saxphil posted looks very cool. And the tenor player is great also!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,570 Posts
When Star Wars came out in 1978 I painted my MK VI white - just the tubes - left the keys gold. I'll see if I can find a picture. The only one I know I have is my son playing it at the age of 9. After that in the early '80s I stripped the paint and hand-polished it. Eventually I had some other stuff done to it like tone hole raising, another re-lacquer and cryo treatment - it had a rough life. But it lives on; that same son has had it since 1989 and it plays fine.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I'm searching for a white lacquer tenor.

I know there's a Selmer SA80 Series II, and a Cannonball that has been discontinued, that were made in white, but in general it seems to be a very rare color.

Is that because the number of coats makes the horn super dark? Is there anything else I should know about why they're rare? Does anyone have experience with this? I need it for some upcoming TV work, but if it's just a dud I'll take another path.

Thanks so much!

Best,
Max
If you can't find one, you can have a saxophone lacquered in white, glossy or satin from Muller Lack.
https://www.facebook.com/pg/muellerlack/photos/?tab=album&album_id=186206601527554
You could buy a horn with worn lacquer or so for a low price and send to them... just another option

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,161 Posts
of course everything can be done at a price.

Relacquering a professional saxophone in white will cost a fair amount of money and of course you will diminish the value of the donor saxophone

1) because it is a relacquer (all relacquers are always frowned upon)
2) because the color won’t appeal everyone

So in my opinion it would be better to find one in original lacquer.

Lacquer (white or otherwise) does nothing to the sound of the saxophone and of course we have said many times a saxophone is not a bell.

So, if you want a white saxophone for its supposed dark sound depending on the color, you are on a unwise errand .

If the objective of your quest is the color white because for example you want to march it in a band where all instruments are white, then you can purchase a white instrument.

Conn, Selmer, Grassi, L.A. Sax and Cannonball have all made white saxophones in their history. Whether any would be available to to you it would remain to be seen.

I think that Yamaha might make their custom series in white as special order or maybe you can do the same with the custom series of Jupiter.

You can buy one off the shelf but they are generally made by Chinese companies.

https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/Bb-T...dafd-4d61-a362-332a814483f5&priceBeautifyAB=0

https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/Whol...dafd-4d61-a362-332a814483f5&priceBeautifyAB=0

https://www.ebay.nl/itm/New-White-T...703861?hash=item3ab46642f5:g:G-kAAOxy4eJTPd2W

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Rare because they were a custom order from Selmer and was $100 or so more than a black one. I've heard the regular lacquer has 5 coats and the white has 7, this was from WWBW who at the time was one of the few places in the US you could even order them through. I called them when I bought mine 2nd hand (see avatar) and they said it was about a 9 month wait. I'm pretty certain they made the SA80III in white also for a short time before discontinuing the color as an option. There was recently a mint Selmer on eBay for like 5K. My advice if it's just for show on TV would be to buy a cheap Chinese one for the looks, but if your pockets are deep and you need it to play make a run at the eBay horn. You won't regret it, mine plays like a monster.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's for a TV show. I hesitate to go the Chinese Ebay route as sound and construction quality is a concern. The advice as been stellar thus far (as usual). Thanks all!

·
39,161 Posts
Short of commissioning one to the custom shops of Yamaha or Jupiter, I suppose that some of these modern Chinese saxophones can be made to play well enough for a show (and maybe much longer too). If a capable technician would take care of them.

There are several brands which specialize in importing Chinese or Taiwanese saxophones and refurbishing (if and when needed). Bruce Bailey and Palo Tung have done such things. They are both members of this board under their own name and I am sure would be able to personally answer your query.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Short of commissioning one to the custom shops of Yamaha or Jupiter, I suppose that some of these modern Chinese saxophones can be made to play well enough for a show (and maybe much longer too). If a capable technician would take care of them.
The hard part is finding a tech willing to touch a Chinese sax. I would agree though, not a lot of options out there. Short of custom or ponying up for that Selmer on ebay. Too bad, I could imagine a white sax with a Tonalin would be a cool look. Maybe look at a Yamaha 23 or something inexpensive but good-ish and get it re-lacquered?

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I had a couple of chinese sax ... rather than buy one of them I would go for a reliable Yamaha and make it lacquered
OP said he need it just for a tv show, I think he would use it even after the commitment...

·
39,161 Posts
there are many technicians who are not only willing to “ touch “ Chinese or Taiwanese saxophones but that have done so many times before as part of their daily business.

As mentioned both Bruce Bailey and Palo Tung have imported Chinese saxophones ( Bruce has done this with flutes too if memory servers) and made part of their business to resell them. The same thing was part of the business model of Bauhaus Walstein by Mike Walker in the UK (and Palo Tung as their reseller in the US).

They too ( albeit not with white saxophones) imported saxophones form China.

I wouldn’t have thought that these days, after the success of companies which sell on line saxophones from China such as Taishan, there would still be this sort of broad questioning quality based on the country where products come from. One can’t say that a saxophone is bad because of the country where is comes from. There will be good and bad in China but the days where everything imported from China was bas are long, long gone.

It is all in the quality control and set up. There are several companies which are in the business of buying saxophones from China , re set them up, and resell them with their guarantee.

Relacquering a saxophone is a very expensive business these days.

Besides buying the donor horn, factoring in a complete disassembling, buffing (necessary prior to relacquer) , lacquering, new pads and reassembling, would cost way more than buying a saxophones (from Jupiter or but way more expensive Yamaha for example) which was born lacquered white.

Palo Tung promises to oversee also custom orders

This is palo Tung site

http://www.justsaxes.net

Palo Tung is a well known saxophone technician and importer.

this is his profile here on SOTW

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/member.php?16636-ptung

Another thought is to see if you could get or find a Vibratosax tenor in white.

I didn’t like their first batch of altos (but others did like the later editions) but this video shows (towards the end) a very good sounding sax.

·
Registered
JS Crescent, JS NOS, Selmer SBA, Couf Superba I, Conn, Buescher, King
1,490 Posts
Thanks for the vote of confidence, Milandro.

I don't have a lot of insight to offer on white lacquer or how the PRC factories are executing it -- I'm sure I (or any dealer ordering from PRC) could order one, but I can't speak on what I haven't tested for myself. I'm sure the result would be not too different from any other tenor from the same factory, but I do get different results from different necks -- I often end up recommending (and even requesting) that customers humor me and try a silverplated neck with the tenors and altos because the silverplated from the factory that makes my Crescent line have a different response, generally, from goldplated (quicker attack, less sustain -- has plusses and minuses, main plus being less sustain feels faster playing faster passages, slightly more bebop-and-beyond friendly color/feel).

The most useful insights I can offer:

- it takes about 30 days, usually, for my factory to complete a custom order.
- I don't think my line is from the same factory as Taishan (but I don't know enough about Taishan to say for sure -- have never worked on one, that I can recall).
- I would not order from any other factory than the one I use, but my own prototype survey was not at all exhaustive, though I did order from more than one factory in the same region as the one I use, and I would not use the others because it's too much work to get them to the point where I'd put my reputation behind the final product.
- I would not sell the Crescents -- in any pitching -- in the playing condition they're in when they arrive from China; they play fine, the seatings are excellent, but each pitching has different flaws that need correction or improvement, and adjustment is to me unacceptable. No BS: I would not sell without servicing and playing at length because my reputation is the most valuable possession I have, professionally, and I could not put it behind any of the horns as they are when they arrive.
- I have recently stopped ordering the tenors from the factory making the Crescents because their customer service has deteriorated past an acceptable point -- this is relevant in that when ordering custom there is a lot of risk that what one received in an untested, un-established order combination may not be what was ordered. I do order the baris custom, still, but they come from a different factory, I think, than the sops, altos & tenors.

...may it be of use. :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,187 Posts
Since it is just for a day or two (?) TV taping, would it be possible to white wash just the bell? That would be a temporary white. Remove the bell and white wash it, being careful not to get it on the pads or rods. Here's something:

https://www.greenstreetmedia.eu/temporary-paint/

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,187 Posts
I'm searching for a white lacquer tenor.…
Add to the list of white pro tenors: B&S "Porcelainite" (white) 2001 tenor. (Not sure of the spelling.)

·
Registered
835 Posts

·
39,161 Posts
The saxophone was wrapped only by the bell and neck, this is probably because it would have been impossible ( think of all the moving parts that cannot be wrapped) to do more.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts